Large Scale Central

Piko New 2014 Camelback

Piko will release a 060 Camelback in June It will have DCC sound decoder installed
RR is for Reading at this time. MSRP $569.99 the MAP price is $455.99. If interested I can get a better price.
Mike

http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=artikel&vw_id=17026 Nice!

Any chance of getting one without the DCC sound panel? I do not want or need it and resent being pushed by the MFR to buy stuff i dont want or need.

Now that camel back looks like a parts bin Frankenstein BASH if I ever saw one.

Why would they build such a funky beast that only a limited market would actually buy?

It’s really not that off from proto camelbacks

(http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhrr_steam/C-2/Darren-E-Hadley/118-01.jpg)

Todd, because camels are cooooool

:wink:

Vic no chance
Mike

Michael Moran said:

Vic no chance
Mike

Any idea what that board would be worth on the free market once its been “liberated” from the engine? I’m thinking to help offset costs for the lokie.

Vic they sell the DCC sound board for $159 or so
Mike

Huummm…I’ll need 3

I do have a slight fetish for the widow maker. Local history interest for me as Reading had a nice fleet of them and the line is still operational these days however it’s Dash 9’s, SD70’s etc

I saw that Piko is selling the DCC/sound boards separate. Also, in the literature, the board is said to made by Soundtraxx.

David they sell them as analog sound board or DCC with sound.
Mike

David I already have three on order for others at a special price before delivery which will be in June
Mike

Todd Haskins said:

Now that camel back looks like a parts bin Frankenstein BASH if I ever saw one.

Why would they build such a funky beast that only a limited market would actually buy?

One needs to remember that a horse designed by committee will certainly turn out to be a camel.

Michael Moran said:

Vic they sell the DCC sound board for $159 or so
Mike

So I could very likely recoup about $100 back, hmmmmm.

If only the valve gear was complete…as it is, there is a major component missing, and it looks like hell…but then some don’t care about such details.

If only they had used a simulated Stephenson Link motion, as LGB did with their Mogul, the Piko model might have been believable .

Rivet counter!

I dig…cannot afford, but dig nonetheless…

Todd Haskins said:

1. Now that camel back looks like a parts bin Frankenstein BASH if I ever saw one.

2. Why would they build such a funky beast that only a limited market would actually buy?

Answers to

Q1. - you mean, just like the real thing? :wink:

Q2. - those camelback fans [and I sure as hell ain’t one of 'em] must have whole lot more influence than we ever imagined. It’s a real pity we can’t influence Mr Piko into making a few Canadian-only prototypes.

I’d buy a Jubilee in a minute.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS