Large Scale Central

Piko Curved Switch

I’m thinking about rebuilding a short section of the layout and one of those curved switches from Piko would be a perfect addition.

Does anyone have any experience with them and where can I get a lefty at a good price?

Thanks.

They’re good switches and work well. The only issue I had was the outer radius matched the LGB 1600 curve and the inner was smaller. I’m hoping they come out with a larger version to match their larger curved track. I would try Wholesale Trains, that’s where I have been getting LGB 18000 switches for $82.00. Cheapest I’ve found.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck they do have the switches at a decent price. I was under the impression that the inner curve was a 8’ and the outer a 10’ or so.

In the description it says the track is a R3 and R5 or a #3 and #5.

Right now I have that spot set up with a LGB R3 curve into a LGB16000 series LH switch. I was hoping to ease that curve a bit with this Piko curved switch but it sounds like I won’t be gaining much.

Their R3 and R5 are not the same curvature as LGB.

Piko: (from the link below)

GR1 curved track 30°, r = 600 mm (23.62”)

GR3 curved track 30°, r = 921.54 mm (36.28”) GR5 curved track 15°, r = 1,243.08 mm (48.94”)

G-R7 curved track 15°, r = 1.564,62 mm (61.61”)

http://www.piko-america.com/99350_G-Track_Brochure_2013.pdf

so your switch is 6’ and 8’ diameter, smaller than what you stated.

Also you state a #5 and certainly the R numbers are not the same as frog numbers.

I only see “#” used for frog numbers. Most suppliers that make the tight radius stuff do not give the real frog number.

Greg

For a larger radius look at trainli for curved switches. These are much higher cost than Piko, and much larger radius and are very nice switches.

The R7/R5 is a 7 foot/5 foot radius switch, plus a R10/R7 available 10foot/7 foot.