Large Scale Central

PIKO 0-6-0 Thoughts

What do you all think of the PIKO 0-6-0 Saddle tank (and 0-6-0 tender) engines??

(reliability, capability, issues, etc.)

I would not hesitate to purchase anything from Piko, one of the few manufacturers left that will stand behind there product.

I don’t have first hand knowledge of the 0-6-0 saddle tank as my last two purchases from Piko were Euro style locomotives:

Here is the latest: https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30815/piko-37241

They are smooth running, easy to get parts for if needed, and the latest sound system and DCC they are putting in them are fantastic.

My only issue with the North American offering from Piko is that they don’t put as much detail into them as they do the Euro product.

If you are on Face Book look up a dealer called Upland Trains in CA, they have some videos on there page of many Piko locomotives.

Joe,

I won’t speak to that model, but I will echo Vince’s remarks about PIKO quality and customer service. We own the “Clean Machine,” and it is delight! In terms of customer service, PIKO USA helped me trouble shoot an issue then sent me a repair part plus some extras “just in case.” Everything was on hand in 96 hours (I documented this here: PIKO Clean Machine – A Tropical Take

There is a shop in Tombstone, AZ, of all places, where the proprietor uses the basic PIKO steam engines as bases for his models of AZ narrow gauge equipment. In his words, “I like PIKO. It has the reliability of LGB, but it lets me decide how I want to detail them!”

Frankly, if I hadn’t stumbled on an LGB Mogul locally at fire sale prices, I’d have the PIKO 0-6-0 myself, as it is close to what the OR&L ran down on Honolulu docks. Now, if I find that PIKO 0-6-0 at fire sale prices, all bets are off!

Eric

I think Piko engines are probably fine and if they had what I wanted I would buy one. I’m personally an LGB guy and if I want another engine I shop eBay for them, I do re-built (kit bash) all my engine, so used and in very good condition is what I will look for. I’m totally amazed at the amount of LGB on eBay for sale and if you shop with paying less in mind, you will fine your good deal in time, sometime it comes quicker then you think.

trainman

I just tried going to the Upland Trains website and Norton blocked it as a known dangerous website. So,use some caution.

Paul Burch said:

I just tried going to the Upland Trains website and Norton blocked it as a known dangerous website. So,use some caution.

I don’t know what you looked up but it is not a dangerous website.

They mostly use there Facebook page, it is a husband and wife that own the shop. Great people to deal with.

https://uplandtrains.com/

I just tried it again. Same result. Would some one out there that uses Norton give it a try. Now I’m curious as to why. I have been to Upland Trains a couple of times when in the area. Great shop.

Paul Burch said:

I just tried it again. Same result. Would some one out there that uses Norton give it a try. Now I’m curious as to why. I have been to Upland Trains a couple of times when in the area. Great shop.

Go thru their Facebook page, Kim will reply mostly within the same day. they are very helpful. Ask if they have any deals. Sometimes they get loose models or samples that they will sell for an extremely reasonable price. but its only so often they get these opportunities so you have to check the site a lot. I missed out on a loose camelback for $95 by just a couple minutes when someone read the post just before me and called, but I got my 2-6-0 loose without a tender for $75, the 0-6-0s I have I got thru them.

Paul Burch said:

I use Norton Life Lock, but I don’t install the browser helpers as my computer is already too slow. I went to the link that Vincent provided and got no warnings. I did not drill down or try to download anything.

A friend tried it that uses Norton and got the same results that I did. I’m going to drop this now because it is just hijacking this thread.

Note to Windows 10 users. Clear out your windows prefetch directory and tmp directories. Reboot and the computer will recreate the prefetch contents. This can help speed up slow computers. Also make sure only one virus checker is running!! I found 3 virus checkers on a friends computer and it took over 15 minutes to boot.