Large Scale Central

Pics new Piko Euro 0-6-0T engine

“Mueller Filter” HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):

Jack Barton said:
Recall? It was Wendell that was asking the question. All the repetition seems to come from your side. Stuck in a rut?
Au contraire mon cher, variety is the spice of my life!

But there are markers along the way that stand out for different reasons, your murky “crystal ball” along with the priceless “Ventilator” moniker are just two that are good cause for a smile. :slight_smile:

Marvin, the multiple said:
I think he needs a vacation Jack- Two weeks of silence would be quite nice!
I agree, I won't miss you for a minute.

BTW someone posed the question today: “Who pays him (referring to you) for his PR? Barton? Lynch? Meador? Castellano? Richter?”
What should/could one reply to that other than: “I don’t know, he must be doing it out of the goodness of his heart. That happens when you’re utterly, madly, straight over the moon in love with something or someone.” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol: :lol: Rational is nowhere in that equation. :smiley:

I’d take a guy with goodness and heart any day over a rational guy.

For instance, I’ve never heard of a rational hero. Rational guys are the ones that watch a hero do his thing.

Hey guys, please try to stay on topic.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jack Barton said:
Recall? It was Wendell that was asking the question. All the repetition seems to come from your side. Stuck in a rut?
Au contraire mon cher, variety is the spice of my life!

But there are markers along the way that stand out for different reasons, your murky “crystal ball” along with the priceless “Ventilator” moniker are just two that are good cause for a smile. :slight_smile:

Marvin, the m'ultiple said:
I think he needs a vacation Jack- Two weeks of silence would be quite nice!
I agree, I won't miss you for a minute.

BTW someone posed the question today: “Who pays him (referring to you) for his PR? Barton? Lynch? Meador? Castellano? Richter?”
What should/could one reply to that other than: “I don’t know, he must be doing it out of the goodness of his heart. That happens when you’re utterly, madly, straight over the moon in love with something or someone.” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol: :lol: Rational is nowhere in that equation. :smiley:

One could also throw this one right back at you and state that similar questions could be posed about someone who posts things because he is “utterly, madly, straight over the moon in hate with something or someone” such as Barton, Lynch, Meador, Castellano or in your case the Richters!

Victor Smith said:
Hey guys, please try to stay on topic.
That's right! Lets talk about that Starter set! If it comes in close to what is advertised in Germany (approx. $300) it should be a seller.

Judging by the comments on the German fora regarding some of their other rolling stock: nothing fancy, but the price is right. Which, again going by users’ comments, is a bit better than the LS buildings. :wink:

Sheesh, I guess Marvin has a problem reading today.

Anyway coming back to that PIKO set, what will be interesting to see/feel is just how much refurbishing of the old MDC moulds has happend. Never saw a report mentioning the sturdiness of those MDC cars and lets hope they designed new and better trucks.

PS Can one be “in hate”? :smiley:

MDC cars were pretty decent from the wheels up. I really liked the 1/24 scale caboose, be interesting to see how these new incarnations turn out.

I wonder if Piko also got the ‘Big Hustler’ critter as well, another nice little engine but if they reissue it I sure hope they upscale the size of the cab so its closer to at least 1/22.5, if not 1/20.3.

Is the valve gear one solid piece??? Yikes! Cheap will appeal to some but not so sure I would buy. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one. Price seems to suggest it will be pretty much as pictured.

Not a good choice for me but I could see many non-hobbiests buying it, maybe as a Christmas decoration under the tree.

The interesting bit is how did the MDC dies get from Midwest Companies, Inc. of Merrillville, Indiana who announced the MDC range re-release inclucing selling some stuff on eBay last fall…to Piko?

Marvin, HJ, et al, anyone care to take a stab?

Garrett said:
The interesting bit is how did the MDC dies get from Midwest Companies, Inc. of Merrillville, Indiana who announced the MDC range re-release inclucing selling some stuff on eBay last fall........to Piko?
My guess is that Midwest Companies still owns the former MDC molds and is doing the manufacturing under contract to either PIKO or Silvergate. Contract plastic molding and associated assembly is Midwest's primary business, and I can't see them letting a manufacturing opportunity get away by selling the means of production.

I have seen suppositions about the ownership of the molds, but nothing that clearly shows that PIKO, Silvergate, or anyone other than Midwest Companies owns the molds. It’s going to be interesting to see where the “Made in . . .” logo points.

Further to the lack of definitive information, a footnote on their website reads:

Midwest Companies website said:
Midwest Companies, Inc. produces many products for the OEM market, and performs all of its manufacturing in the United States*. Because of licensing and proprietary terms, all products manufactured are not listed on this web site.
Happy RRing,

Jerry

The proof will be what is stamped on the bottom of the production models as far as country of origin. MW may be the maker even if they are stamped Piko for the reasons you list.

If this is the case, will US market sets be packaged in the US, or Germany/Asia in a Piko facility.

Another intersting comment on proprietary plastic injection molding…went to one molder where one of their procutcts the dies and product were VERY hush hush, no photos, no discussion, etc. Nevermind there are millions of these items littering the sides of the highway, and the diework was nothing special from a technology standpoint.

The automotive guys are worse. Especially when the tooling for something all-new comes about…

I can only suggest that the named midwest company may have been premature in their announcement or they found a better offer.

Perhaps someone made a better offer for the tooling than Midwest. I believe the tooling was owned by Athearn who in turn sold it to it’s current owners.

I tried to order some of the detail parts, but they said they were not taking Paypal yet and would email me when they were set up for it. They have that Monan gondola showing, wasn’t there a few months ago. Ah, the mystery… Jerry

And now for something completely different…

(http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=piko37700carpe7.jpg)

It’s obvious that PIKO is doing the wise thing. They are manufacturing lower priced starter equipment and more detailed higher end locos and cars. I’ll wait for a picture of a production piece before passing judgement on the asthetics of the starter locos. I have a Taurus and a BR218 and both preform very well in the garden.

I’m not trying to argue with anyone, but This looks alot like that: [center]

(http://www.pamakhobbies.com/Products/Images/37800.jpg)

this:

(http://www.pamakhobbies.com/Products/Images/37100_000.jpg)

that:

(http://store01.prostores.com/mainlineamericastore00/catalog/ore_car_gray_undecorated.jpg)

and this like that as well: this:

(http://www.pamakhobbies.com/Products/Images/37801.jpg)

that:

(http://store01.prostores.com/mainlineamericastore00/catalog/transfer_caboose_undecorated_brown.jpg)

sorry for the big pics, ripped from Mainline America’s website.[/center] cale

Your point is…?

Cale they are clearly one in the same, I guess its just a question of whether they are made under license by Midwest for Piko, or were made propriatary by Piko themselves using the MDC molds. The place of manufacture will tell us that, if it ends up China or somewhere else offshore we’ll know they actually bought the molds. Either way be interesting to see how well they do.

JJS, so sorry for confusing you…the point of my previous post is made below:

In response to the above listed queries about “actual” manufacturing of new Piko Rolling Stock; I was simply drawing attention to the fact the cars shown with the new 0-6-0 Piko rendering looked nearly identical to those posted on the Mainline America website through their commerce end of things…

and as I mentioned above, I did so with no intention on arguing a point, just offering my views, Literally and Figuratively. I for one and happy to see more LS Train product being introduced to the States!

cale