Large Scale Central

PECO "G" ground throw

Has anyone tried one of these? Peco G Switch Lever PPCS L928

No, but it looks interesting. How do they compare price wise to Tenmille ?

A little prettier than a Barrel Bolt, but probably not as sturdy. I still like Bruce’s target stands. Someday I’ll try and build a couple.

EDIT: I just searched them out. At around $14 each they are the same or perhaps $1 less than Tenmille throws .

Wow I could use those! I got a pile of LGB switches with those crappy manual throw springs, anyone know how well these mount to stock LGBs?

John Bouck:
Thanks for the post!

Like Jon Radder, I found one U.S. vendor that shows them available for $13.99. This same vendor has Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary models for $350 and the Bachmann Connie for $850. I think all their prices are pretty high, so will keep looking elsewhere.

The “point levers” look to be a really rugged semi-scale solution. I wonder if they have enough throw to operate the LGB switches? PECO track has much more scale like dimensions, so their required switch throw might be somewhat smaller than LGB’s.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Look alot like Caboose industries throws…I’ll stick with my $2.50 “Canadian ground throws”…

I’ve been meaning to build a few of those Canadian throws. I’ve had the barrel bolts in stock for a long time, but I can’t find music wire locally, or in small quantities on the web. I really don’t want to buy a 500 year supply of wire.

Id like to find some stainless wire myself.

EDIT: Lots of .035 stainless wire on EBay pretty cheap…hmm…

Thanks to Stretch Manly at California & Oregon Coast Railway (who is not a PECO dealer), here is a link to Blue Ridge Hobbies where the PECO switch levers are listed as in stock at $9.51 each. The Blue Ridge Hobby item number is EBP111308-552-SL928. No picture, but they sound like the same unit as John posted above, with a list price of $13.99. BRH’s price is over 30% off the MSRP.

Has anyone bought from Blue Ridge Hobbies of Greenville, SC?

Happy RRing,

Jerry

I haven’t ordered from them. But if you can wait a week I’ll drive over there on Saturday and check it out. I’ve been to several hobby shops in Greenville, but not that one.
I’d be interested to see if they stock much of what they list.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
I haven’t ordered from them. But if you can wait a week I’ll drive over there on Saturday and check it out. I’ve been to several hobby shops in Greenville, but not that one. I’d be interested to see if they stock much of what they list. Ralph

and here I am less than 30 min away and can’t get over there, I’d never heard of the shop till my kid wanted the only train mag at the Grocery last mo, so I picked up Model RR or whatever it was and noticed the add…Ralph if you do make it down, I’d be curious as to what you find as well…Tons of stock listed online (though not too competitively priced)…

(http://www.blueridgehobbies.com/images/Store/WebsiteEdits/Exterior031508.jpg)

cale

Doesn’t look like they stock much from the picture.
But I’ll give it a try next weekend.
Ralph

Jon Radder said:
I've been meaning to build a few of those Canadian throws. I've had the barrel bolts in stock for a long time, but I can't find music wire locally, or in small quantities on the web. I really don't want to buy a 500 year supply of wire.
Jon,

I used to use model airplane lead wire (if it’s still available with all the R/C) for choke cables, etc. It worked quite well and should be springy enough for your throws. You might want to check it out.

Richard Smith said:
Jon Radder said:
I've been meaning to build a few of those Canadian throws. I've had the barrel bolts in stock for a long time, but I can't find music wire locally, or in small quantities on the web. I really don't want to buy a 500 year supply of wire.
Jon,

I used to use model airplane lead wire (if it’s still available with all the R/C) for choke cables, etc. It worked quite well and should be springy enough for your throws. You might want to check it out.

Thanks Richard,

I should be able to find that right across the street from my office :smiley:

I’ll check it out.

a bump with some info in a new thread

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?pid=89329#p89329

Save your money guys,I ordered them from a hobby shop on Ebay and what I got was Plastic Junk,I am not sure if the guy pulled a switch or not .They were new in the Peco package

Did it look like my picture?
If it wasn’t made of metal, you were duped.
Sorry 'bout that.
And, howdy to LSC.

Interesting to say the least! Looking at various U.S. websites, the photos show a robust looking point lever that appears to be of all brass construction, but many other (especially UK) sites show a blister-pak containing a batch of parts that are obviously all plastic. Not at all like my experience with PECO products.

I just sent an inquiry to PECO’s Technical Advice Bureau asking about the difference. I’ll report on what they have to say.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Here is the reply from PECO:

PECO Technical Advice Bureau said:
Dear Sir Thank you for your Email. The point lever for G scale has only ever been made in injection moulded plastic. This unit has been successfully used outdoors by many modellers. Kind regards PECO Technical Advice Bureau
So I wonder what the ones that look like brass are and where they are from. Any thoughts?

Happy RRing,

Jerry

looking around too:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/9/postid/87116/view/topic/Default.aspx

Cale:

I too considered that ‘molded in brass color’ might be the answer, but every one of the numerous websites I have looked at clearly shows the PECO point lever to be black plastic.

Also, the package contents don’t appear to be the same as the pix of the brass appearing unit.

I’ll send another missive to the folks at PECO asking that question.

Happy RRing,

Jerry