Large Scale Central

Paver Pad

My wife gave me a charcoal grill as an early anniversary present. I decided to put it in an empty area of the layout near the Rico yard. I already had a picnic table out there and thought the grill would make a nice addition. Since it needed to go on a fireproof surface, I decided to make a small 54” square pad with concrete pavers as a base.

I began by raking back the mulch from the desired area.

I excavated the soil down about four inches, making it as level as possible.

I poured in twelve bags of Quikrete® paver base and compacted it with a hand tamper.

I used 12” long spikes to anchor plastic edging along two adjacent sides.

I spread a thin (1/2” thick) layer of fine sand over the compacted paver base and set the pavers into position. I used two different sizes of pavers; 6” x 6” and 6” x 9”. After nailing the remaining two pieces of edging in place, I tapped on each paver with a rubber mallet to seat them into the sand.

I spread fine sand over the pavers and used a broom to sweep it into all of the cracks between the pavers. I wet the pavers with a garden hose to wash the sand down into the cracks. Here is how it looked when completed:

Total elapsed time to construct the paver pad, start-to-finish, was about six hours. I plan on having brats on the grill when you guys come over for the next operating session. Date and time: TBD.

I’ve never seen a grill like that, does it have a cover?

Oh nice pad too. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

No cover. It’s called a Cowboy Open Pit Grill. From Sam’s Club (link below) and also I think at Home Depot.

link to grill ad

“I plan on having brats on the grill” Ooh, I could…I could! Naw…

Bob your a go getter. I would like to see a wide angle shot of your layout area. With the Gazebo, patio and now the grill it must be a very comfy backyard.

Devon Sinsley said:

Bob your a go getter. I would like to see a wide angle shot of your layout area. With the Gazebo, patio and now the grill it must be a very comfy backyard.

TRAINS!!!