Large Scale Central

Passenger car conversions

Will the judge take that?

edit: Walthers understood Unique!

Just amazing work.

Aaawww …you guys helped ! That’s cheating!!

" Rooster " said:

Aaawww …you guys helped ! That’s cheating!!

I thought we was supposed to help. I thought that was why we was here. I don’t see it as cheating.

So how do those rooms look from the inside? Is that top window i a bunk bed or something?

Sorry had to reduce image to get the side view …

I searched: Pullman Plan 4100

Eric Schade said:

So how do those rooms look from the inside? Is that top window i a bunk bed or something?

I’ve seen a pghoto of the inside of one of these “slumbercoaches” (economy sleeper cars.) They had pairs of bunks arranged either side of the windows, stacked offset above each other. Can’t find the pic now. The pairs were separated from the corridor by a curtain - hence for slumber only.

Pete those sound like troop trains.

From the same modeler I copied the prototype car from http://www.oscalekings.org/ed_bommer/pullman/pullman.html

His build is shown above in ‘O’ gauge. I am not doing an interior in my passenger cars, but I do like having an idea of what I am copying. Sometimes it helps with exterior detail location. On this car knowing how the interior was done enabled me to understand how the window spacing was created.

Each upper and lower roomette was made with milled wood seat stock and scrap pieces of MDF left over from other carpentry projects. It works nicely and takes paint very well.

The two inside walls were cut from mat board used for picture framing. Each left and right duplex roomette set was painted and detailed with a ’toilet’ block, fold up sink, mirror, head rest cover, arm rest and carpet.

Above photos can be reviewed at the above shown web address.

Built by Edward F. Bommer in February, 2015. This article prepared July, 2016.

I hope the above pictures aide in the question of what the interiors looked like on this car.

John, I also have looked for the passenger cars Pete referred to. They are not Troop sleepers. The first time I saw the type Pete refers to was on the I Love Lucy show years ago as a youngster. I believe it was the episode where the family’s moved from New York to Los Angeles. They were full length cars with beds arranged one over the other with dividing walls between the sets of beds and curtains that could be drawn across each bed individually. I am looking for that style car so I can discern the window arrangement for a future conversion.

For clarity purposes

note that bucks stretch across the carat one end.

Now a peek at what Pete referred to.

Note the pull down bed above the one being prepared(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

So you are doing full interior then or possibly just black out the windows with opaque stickers? I really don’t have a problem with either!

laying perpendicular to the direction of travel sounds like a recipe for getting tossed out of bed if the train suddenly accelerates or decelerates.

David Maynard said:

laying perpendicular to the direction of travel sounds like a recipe for getting tossed out of bed if the train suddenly accelerates or decelerates.

I don’t think trains accelerate or decelerate that fast! I travel on the Autotrain and the Superliner bedrooms are all bunked across the trains and I haven’t been tossed out yet!

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Note the pull down bed above the one being prepared(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That’s not quite the arrangement I recalled. The pulldown is in the same position (longitudinally) as the lower berth and wouldn’t need an offset window. The Superliner Roomette uses that arrangement.

Gotta find that photo . . .

Edit: I did find a thread on amtraktrains.com from 2007 which had lost its photos. This was an interesting post, similar to the layout I recalled:

The staggered windows match the 16 single rooms. The single rooms themselves are staggered with the windows. One room is sort of crammed about half way back on top of the room below it—God, do I REALLY not know how to explain things.I hope somebody will come to my rescue. I know what I am talking about, but putting it into intelligible words…The entrance to every other single rooom,alternating is a few inches off the ground.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/8117-interior-pictures-of-slumbercoach-rooms/

Aha. Research does pay off:. You can see the overlapping bunks.

Pete Thornton said:

David Maynard said:

I don’t think trains accelerate or decelerate that fast! I travel on the Autotrain and the Superliner bedrooms are all bunked across the trains and I haven’t been tossed out yet!

Well…the slack action can be rather abrupt.

Pete Thornton said:

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

That’s not quite the arrangement I recalled. The pulldown is in the same position (longitudinally) as the lower berth and wouldn’t need an offset window. The Superliner Roomette uses that arrangement.

Gotta find that photo . . .

Edit: I did find a thread on amtraktrains.com from 2007 which had lost its photos. This was an interesting post, similar to the layout I recalled:

The staggered windows match the 16 single rooms. The single rooms themselves are staggered with the windows. One room is sort of crammed about half way back on top of the room below it—God, do I REALLY not know how to explain things.I hope somebody will come to my rescue. I know what I am talking about, but putting it into intelligible words…The entrance to every other single rooom,alternating is a few inches off the ground.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/8117-interior-pictures-of-slumbercoach-rooms/

Aha. Research does pay off:. You can see the overlapping bunks.

Pete if you look at the car I’m copying you will see you are describing the car I am doing. Pay attention to the door cut outs in the walls and note that every other door sits up one step. and if you look at the constructed sections you will see that alternate roomettes are raised which necessitated the staggered window arrangement. And from what I get from the build of EDs’ one of the bunks was in the heavier looking wall

My statement " The first time I saw the type Pete refers to was on the I Love Lucy show years ago as a youngster. I believe it was the episode where the family’s moved from New York to Los Angeles. They were full length cars with beds arranged one over the other with dividing walls between the sets of beds and curtains that could be drawn across each bed individually", was from your description of beds on both sides of a central aisle with curtains separating the beds from the aisle and two beds( one upper, one lower ) between two walls.

Your statement: “I’ve seen a pghoto of the inside of one of these “slumbercoaches” (economy sleeper cars.) They had pairs of bunks arranged either side of the windows, stacked offset above each other. Can’t find the pic now. The pairs were separated from the corridor by a curtain - hence for slumber only”

To add to confusion there were cars as i described with one bed directly over another bed these on both sides of an aisle and the only divider between the bed occupant and the aisle was a curtain . This is the arrangement that was like the picture of the porter i posted, but which I cannot find a full picture of. I do know they were used in some old movies and TV shows but I have yet to find pics on line to model from. If you look at the picture you see there is no window high up for the upper bunk.

Hope I have explained this clearly.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David Maynard said:

Pete Thornton said:

David Maynard said:

Well…the slack action can be rather abrupt.

David, One can only hope that the station jockeys are much better than what you describe. The sleeper I rode changed roads midway in the trip in the middle of the night. I can attest that if you weren’t wise to the action you would not have known when or even if a move between trains occurred. And even back then beds were perpendicular to the car sides.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Hope I have explained this clearly.

I was hoping that a picture would be worth a thousand words! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)Yes, you were quite clear - I think the photo with the angled seat/bunks threw me off.

Don’t hang too much hope on finding Lucy’s prototype … stage sets only had to be believable, not copies (they’d have to pay for that).

The chair cars that converted to sleeping didn’t need upper windows, no chair up there!

I don’t know about the various configurations, but I am extremely impressed with the impeccably clean white jacket and the immaculate pressed sheets and pillow case. It’s almost like they took pride in their railroad!