Large Scale Central

P.B.R.R. first expansion

this week I had some time off, and decided there is something wrong with having track in a box, rather than on the ground. I had only one place to pass/ switch as it was, so decided to make it much more interesting, and be able to do some switching. This area was the likely spot for the initial expansion

Time to run some trains and test for any issues A bit of switching on the upper level

And breaking the consist. The new track needed a test run through all the switches and new track. This is going to turn into alot of fun before its through…

Total addition was 32 feet. I have another 40 or so that is committed to a coming lower loop. Wish I were younger and more motivated, or older and retired so I had more time.

Nice looking work…

Very nice Don. I’m envious of you guys that seem to have an easy time setting block walls. I fight like the devil to get a level first course. After that it’s easy. I still have a pallet of block waiting for me to have the ambition to get the first course down.

Jon, we only have a month of rain every year, and no frost point. Couple that with groung that was already compacted, and it is easy to get level block using something (like a sharpened mattox) to just shave the ground down level. I already had swales to chase the water away from this area during the rainy season, so the rest was gravy. All except that pesky crawl around on the groung thing.

Looking good Don. Really coming along

Looking good. It didnt take long for you to expand LOL Took me a year.

Watching…
:wink:

Don Pearson said:
Wish I were younger and more motivated, or older and retired so I had more time.
Had that same thought many times :) Expanding the RR is always fun. Ralph

a quick inventory yeilded another 40 feet of homeless track. I think I have a free day next weekend, so may get a lower loop completed on the northeast end. Turnouts were put in place in preparation for this in the initial track plan. It’s always good to be able to look my better half in the eye and say " Nope! this isn’t going to cost a thing! all the parts are already here for the whole project!"
Might need a dozen rail clamps, but other tha that I am good.
Thanks for the positive comments guys.
I spent the better part of this afternoon switcvhing away with a little Hartland 0-4-0. Far from a pretty locomotive, it is a beast in its own right, and from e-bay at 40 bucks, a pleasure to own. Pics to follow.

Don Pearson said:
a quick inventory yeilded another 40 feet of homeless track. I think I have a free day next weekend, so may get a lower loop completed on the northeast end. Turnouts were put in place in preparation for this in the initial track plan. It's always good to be able to look my better half in the eye and say " Nope! this isn't going to cost a thing! all the parts are already here for the whole project!" Might need a dozen rail clamps, but other tha that I am good. Thanks for the positive comments guys. I spent the better part of this afternoon switcvhing away with a little Hartland 0-4-0. Far from a pretty locomotive, it is a beast in its own right, and from e-bay at 40 bucks, a pleasure to own. Pics to follow.
LOL send that HLW over this way I will make it look nice for you.

Only if you promise to send it back when you are done Shawn.

Don Pearson said:
Only if you promise to send it back when you are done Shawn.
LOL of course. The question is do you trust my work?

Of course I trust your work Shawn, its my missing using it while its away.
I HAVE to get some metal wheels for the tender, and a better method of connecting the two as well. It just isn’t very well designed in that aspect.

Dear Don,

In the foreground of the first pic, the siding looks to be running up hill. (Cars on siding rolling down the grade to foul the main?)

Then I notice that the main is sloping down the hill at that point, creating the illusion of the uphill grade on the siding.

(Oh, no, not another one of Joe’s optical delusion posts!)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

I completely removed that siding, but it was set with a 4’ level initially. Above that switch begins a 3% grade going to the upper portion. I reset all of that track as well as reshot and reset the grade track.
The third picture still has the ‘gravel’ roadbed in place where that track was taken up. It also had a slight hook in it as well lending to the ‘delusion’ (I resemble that remark) of it being off-grade a bit.
The last couple of days have had 30+ mile per hour winds here, so no further progress on any outdoor issues.
I’ll update as the pictures are acceptable enough to post.