Large Scale Central

Outside diameter

Fellas,

Can you tell me what the OUTSIDE diameter is for the following curves if made in a circle?

10 foot diameter curves
8 foot diameter curves
5 foot diameter curves

I’m starting to plan my outside layout and I plan to use USA trains solid brass rail track. Thanks in advance.

Joe,
I’m not sure where the measurement is taken, outside rail, inside rail, or between the rails.
Maybe someone knows.

Also, are you asking for the outside measurement to the rail or the ties?

Doubting that anyone has all three sizes handy to measure, might I suggest asking on the Aristocraft forum. Someone from Aristocraft should be able to answer your question.
Ralph

as far, as i know they measure in the middle between rails.
so including some leeway for overhang in curves, i would recommend to add at least 7" more diameter to the numbers given.

The diameter refers to the dimension between the center lines of the track, as far as I know this applies to all of the LS track. The one exception (for a short period of time) was LGB who not only converted the measurements incorrectly but also measured/listed the dimension from the outside of the ties. BTW the rest of the model railroad mfgs (to the best of my knowledge) list the radius of the curve, again from the center of the track. For the doubting Thomas :wink:

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC/LGB_Dimm.jpg)

From the LGB 2000 catalogue, without a word that they measured to the outside of the ties. :smiley:

Ralph Berg said:
Joe, I'm not sure where the measurement is taken, outside rail, inside rail, or between the rails. Maybe someone knows.

Also, are you asking for the outside measurement to the rail or the ties?

Doubting that anyone has all three sizes handy to measure, might I suggest asking on the Aristocraft forum. Someone from Aristocraft should be able to answer your question.
Ralph

I’m asking for the dimension from outside TIE to outside TIE.

Joe Zullo said:
I'm asking for the dimension from outside TIE to outside TIE.
Well that's easy, take the diameter of the circle and add 3.5" for the width of [b]one[/b] tie.
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Joe Zullo said:
Well that's easy, take the diameter of the circle and add 3.5" for the width of [b]one[/b] tie.
yeah! and when he´s laid everything, he'll learn, that most locos need more than an inch space for overhang in curves.
Korm Kormsen said:
yeah! and when he´s laid everything, he'll learn, that most locos need more than an inch space for overhang in curves.
When he's laid everything?..............corner Rooster...:(
David Russell said:
Korm Kormsen said:
UM...
Korm Kormsen said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Joe Zullo said:
How much he really needs he can test, as long as he knows what the nominal dimensions are. ;) :) and if in doubt he can always look at the prototype to see how wide the subroadbed even though the 1:1 guys don't have that kind of overhang.
David Russell said:
Korm Kormsen said:
everyTHING, not everyONE... yep, corner Rooster
Bob McCown said:
David Russell said:
Korm Kormsen said:
UM...
Dont worry Bob Ill take Rooster out for a good beaten.
Bob McCown said:
David Russell said:
Korm Kormsen said:
UM...
Breathe easy, Bob, we are talking about eggs, here. :P

Steve Featherkile said:
Breathe easy, Bob, we are talking about eggs, here. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know I was!

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/Howtopickupchicks.jpg)

Korm Kormsen said:
as far, as i know they measure in the middle between rails. so including some leeway for overhang in curves

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/Amfleet%20Cars/018.jpg)

My thoughts on Korm’s reply …Yes and Yes! LGB Amfleets on a 9’ diameter (in the shop) …what are you trying to accomplish or perhaps contemplating Joe?

I asked about outside diameters because we need to lay down a cement patio, and I am to put my layout on it. I am trying to figure what size to make it (within the limits of the space available). I believe I can safely use 8’ diameter curves on a 10 foot wide patio from what I have learned here. I may even go to 12 foot wide to use 10’ diameter curves. I want to give a Thank you to all of you.

Joe,

You’ll like the 5ft radius, you can run pretty well anything that’s on the market on those curves. Apart from that the gentler the curves the better it will look, flextrack works really well for that purpose. It’s a bit more work, but in my book worth the extra.