Large Scale Central

Outdoor table leg supports

I am almost to the point of getting my “tables” started for my outdoor raised layout. My framework will most likely be similar to Richard Smith’s. But he burries his legs in the ground. I don’t really want to do that. I noticed that in HJ’s turnout post that he is using a “pound in” type of leg support. I’ve also seen a number of folks use the concrete deck blocks for their legs too. As I have both available at Home Depot & Lowes I keep pondering which is best. The concrete block is cheaper but but which is better? I’d like to hear the experiences of those that have tried each method.

Thanks,

Warren

Warren,

I like the PostSpikes because they’re easy to lineup and drive. They are also rock steady and take up less room than the concrete supports; no leveling of ground required.

I’ve used the pound-in post spikes for two mailboxes. Within 3 years they are no longer plumb.

I’ve used the concrete Deck blocks for an elevated portion of my roadway. They have worked very well. They are placed on an existing patio, so leveling is not an issue. They do not hold the post as tightly as the spikes.

Fr. Fred uses the blocks, but he sits them on top of a 24" square patio stone to give a better base. He says they are very stable that way placed directly on the ground.

JR

The wooden castles of Olde England have long since rotted away , no doubt leaning a bit before they did .
Building a wall on sloping ground usually means following the slope , they didn’t level the ground in China .

Persoannly I use pressure treated 4x4s…place hem ona cement stepping stone or in a purpose cast deck block…Like Fred does!

Warren,

I think the cement deck piers are the best way to install legs where you don’t want them buried because of frost heave. They will give good bulk and weight to hold the legs in place. Second would be cement pavers. I have no experience with the spikes. If you want to go with all wood you can try what I’ve done…

My extra midpoint legs are supported on 2x6 PT wood pads. They are screwed into the legs from beneath before the legs are installed and do a good job and can’t slip off the pads. They will deteriorate eventually but last a long time and protect the legs themselves.They are easily replaced by screwing a temporary leg outside the framework, dropping the old leg out, screwing on a new pad and reinstalling. A product like Trex might also be good for such pads. I haven’t tried that yet.

Be aware too that you will probably need more sway bracing than I’ve used to keep the benchwork solid because the legs will be merely sitting on the ground instead of in it.