Large Scale Central

Open top shipping containers and a tarp experiment

I was poking around the old Tilcon quarry in Wauregan, CT and found the plant siding is currently being used to load 40’ shipping containers that have been modified with open tops to transport C&D debris. I thought they would make an interesting addition to my container collection so I returned with the drone to get a better look from above.

I milled the sides and top pieces from 5mm PVC as I’ve done with my previous shipping containers.

To make the tarp covers I had thought to use the tissue/airplane dope method (and I may still do that) but we have collected quite a few of the new reusable shopping bags so I figured Id try them.

I wanted to create a “pocket” to slip a 3mm aluminum tube through. They are made of polyethylene which is a challenge to bond with adhesives but after a quick google search and found fusing was recommended so I borrowed the wife’s impulse heat sealer and after a few adjustments to the heating level and it worked!

1 Like

So…All you need is some rubbish to put inside of it :slight_smile:

Nice repurpose of the shopping bag! I tried that years ago when I needed side curtains for Utility but ended up using another vinyl product that I forget what it was…I think like sign banner material for like metal fences at baseball games and such.

Great job. Way to think outside the ‘container’. :grin:

And off the Narrow Gauge Discussion forum, the WW&F 2 foot narrow gauge imported some 2 foot equipment in open top containers. https://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=94638,filename=IMG_9104.JPG

And if interested further here is a link to the thread WW&F & So. Africa News: Bring Trains to Maine up from Africa!

I decided to go with the old proven method of tissue and white glue.

and now I just realized the container is standard height and mine is high cube. :thinking:

If it matters this is the material I mentioned earlier. “Still don’t know what it’s called” but it can be formed with heat. I use to pull stuff out of a graphic shop dumpster back in the day and would make stuff from it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve seen stuff like that and I think the bags I started playing with are similar material (Polypropylene). My challenge is creating the wrinkles to reflect the prototype and like your material, the bags have a texture. I’d also like to add the puddles. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like