Large Scale Central

Now to put metal wheels in 2ndhand CoG "football" car

It arrived in what in 4 minutes will become yesterday, so now the thing is to figure out how to put metal wheels in 2ndhand CoG “football” car purchased from Reindeer Pass.

Have some Bachmann metal wheels on hand and they look like they should fit the journal bearings.

But …

This is the 1st car I’ve ever had by whoever manufactured this and I have zero prior experience with how their sprung trucks come apart.

Back of box says car was produced by REA in partnership with Polk’s.

I know who Polk’s were/are.

Car’s couplers look Aristo.

And I think the car was listed as Aristo.

Just went to look at receipt in box, yeah, car is Aristo.

And that brings up another thing …

Car has knuckle couplers but I want to use hook and loop which my Willow Creek Traction line uses.
(The Bachmann and HLW steam locos use knuckle couplers.
Much like how real life steam roads and traction outfits often used different couplers.)

And the coupler shank and truck drawbar are differently shaped than any of either I have on hand.

Also got the Swiss train people who will eventually be repainted for WCT.

You need to VERY CAREFULLY remove the 2 springs on one side of the truck. If you have never done this, make a very confined space and spread an old white sheet to catch the spring which may SPROING (a technical term). Once the springs are removed, you can slide the old wheels out, and new wheels in.

You should be able to remove one screw to take off the knuckle coupler off, and replace it with the hook & loop coupler.

Actually Forrest you don’t have to disassemble anything. You can just pull the sideframes outward and pop the wheelset out (on one side)then back in. Have done this many times over with no issues. However that is only my experience.

Yeah, I usually do that too. The only danger is if the plastic is old and brittle, the truck side could break.

But if you do, Rooster will just send you another one.

Forrest, I can’t see from the pictures you took, but are there actual springs in those trucks? My stuff is packed away so I don’t have a comparison at the moment, but if there are no actual springs in those trucks they may be Lionel. IF they are Lionel, the width of the side frames is a bit narrower than the other manufacturers and although you can squeeze the Bachmann or Aristo wheel sets in, the hole in the bearing is shallow and will bind on the ends of the axles.

Good luck with your new stock.

Forrest Scott Wood said: Car’s couplers look Aristo.

And I think the car was listed as Aristo.

Just went to look at receipt in box, yeah, car is Aristo.

Lou Luczu said:

Yeah, I usually do that too. The only danger is if the plastic is old and brittle, the truck side could break.

But if you do, Rooster will just send you another one.

Lou,

I certainly will!! Next thing you know you will want a video on how it’s done.

Aristo/REA trucks. If you look at the truck on the right Bob you can see the springs(two) below the central of Georgia logo. fairly clear on my screen.

edited just to clarify that the two springs I speak of are immediately below the molded in springs on the top area of the truck(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob Cope said:

Forrest, I can’t see from the pictures you took, but are there actual springs in those trucks?

Yeppers, real live honest to goodness actual sprung and working trucks!

Okay, metal wheels are in! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Ended up having to remove 1 sideframe each truck to swap wheels.

I like those trucks, they are nicely done.

Lou Luczu said:
You need to VERY CAREFULLY remove the 2 springs on one side of the truck. If you have never done this, make a very confined space and spread an old white sheet to catch the spring which may SPROING (a technical term).

Actually, what happened was I looked at my cats, thought, ‘ya know, leashes keep them from jumping away …’

… so I put the springs on leashes.

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(Yes, that blue cord is his leash & yes the Bachmann Big Hauler and train ran over it just fine without derailing!)

I see that just because I own the boxcar, that doesn’t mean I own the box …