Large Scale Central

Noisy Dash 9 Trucks

I have a local large scale enthusiast asking me about noisy Dash 9 trucks. Years ago this was discussed, but I can not find the remedy either here or on Greg’s or George’s website.

http://www.rayman4449.com/Aristocraft_Dash-9_E-8_SD45_Mods.htm

Thanks David!

There is also an excellent article on Greg’s website on the Prime Mover motor blocks.

It just took a second look to find it.

Thanks Greg!

Lot’s of useful information there.

Good thing you mentioned the spring and ball bearing on each axle.

These are not shown in the SD-45 Exploded Parts Diagrams.

Paul

i had a new sd45 and that ball was starting to cut into the axle. since i am battery i pulled all of the ball bearings so i don’t have two think about it.

Richard Beverly said:

Paul

i had a new sd45 and that ball was starting to cut into the axle. since i am battery i pulled all of the ball bearings so i don’t have two think about it.

After reading Greg’s information, I intend to do the same thing.

There is a lot of wiring in this locomotive that I do not need. I will probably gut this locomotive and wire directly from the motor terminals to a Plug and Play Board. The fewer connections, the less chance of a problem and the smoother the locomotive should run.

I also noticed that a Crest lithium-ion battery will fit on its side in the metal frame channel. More reason to remove all that wiring that runs from one end of the channel to the other.

Hey Paul, if you have the time/inclination, please tell me how I could have made the information easier to find…

Right now it is Large Scale… Motive Power… Aristocraft… Prime Mover Basics…

That seemed very logical to me… but clearly it did not work well…

Maybe I should put a link to that page on every locomotive that uses the prime mover?

Regards, Greg

p.s. salvage the PolySwitches from the original boards, nice to have in motor and battery circuits.

Hi Greg!

When I first visited I looked for a Dash 9 article.

Then an SD-45 article, as they used the same motor blocks.

Then Ted’s Vignettes.

I don’t no why I missed the Prime Mover Basics tab second from the top.

I did forward the link to the chap who e-mailed me.

He was happy with the information.

I added a link to your web site to our OVGRS club web site as well.

Don’t how I missed that as well.

When I visit your site it pops up a request with every page to access my clipboard.

I suppose I shouldn’t be so lazy, and log in.

There’s a setting in your browser that apparently trys to load each page into the clipboard.

I have a program on my site that wraps each page in a wrapper, which stops copying pictures, had some problems.

What browser do you use that is giving you this issue? I’ll see if I can stop the issue on my side.

Greg

Thanks Greg!

I run Windows 10, but my security provider had me return to Internet Explorer.

I was glad to because Edge would not save my Favourites folders, and it was very slow on You Tube.

Yeah, edge is pretty bad right now, I have made a direct shortcut to IE for now.

The handling of favorites is a real pain, they have not figured out that interface so it works with tablets and us normal mouse guys.

Greg

Greg, maybe once Microsoft has been writing code for a few years, they will get it right. After all, this is their first operating system, and they are still learning their craft.

Ha Ha!

Well, they are trying to merge the simple operating systems for phones and tablets with their mainstream OS… that is indeed a lofty goal and it will take a while.

But they will get there before Apple does, that is for sure.

Greg

Richard Beverly said:

Paul

I thought a ball bearing was supposed to cut down on friction, not increase it.

Wrong ball bearing… he is referring to the single one that is used for power pickup.

When this happens, it is because of lack of lubrication on the axle itself, a drop of oil at regular intervals would have avoided this problem.

I have a very detailed article on this on the prime mover page…

Greg

OK, thanks. I have some reading to do, I guess.

Steve Featherkile said:

You can read and if so could you help me learn?

This ball bearing:

And if you do not have a little lubrication on the axles or something restricting their side to side motion (and MOST people do not know they need lubrication here):

David Russell said:

Steve Featherkile said:

You can read and if so could you help me learn?

By read, I mean look at pickchures. Greg has nicely provided them for us.

the pictures explain a lot, if your axles are not sliding side to side easily, that little ball bearing will wear a groove, multiple grooves or a slot.

Many people who had derailment issues had this situation where the ball bearing locked the axle, and limited the ability to traverse curves.

Greg

Just a note Greg… We had the same problems at Formica on our Stacking table that had eye’s to use micro motors to move alignment tables. We found out years ago that a one lone ball bear set in a spring will not turn very much with out it in a raise or guide to roll or turn. The ball on a axle will like you said, will ware a grove in a axle in time due to the small point of contact of the ball bearing in a very small surface of contact. We ended up with lubricators for over 20 of them and then no more computer Elect. contact problems.

Like Aristo blocks axles, Formica table motors axles had to move side to side also.

Nice photo and finding the fix, Greg.