Large Scale Central

No locations for cars

Okay, so I think I’ve managed to build everything properly, but when I go to build my trains, it says it can’t find my cars. When I run the location report, it lists all my cars at “yard/interchange siding.” Any thoughts on making teaching the software where my cars are?

Later,

K

Hey Kevin
Advance the day once. That should prime the pump, get some industry ‘needs’, and get you going.

I should probably build that in so it asks the first time you go to run trains.

No joy. I moved the date forward 10 days, my cars are still evidently sitting on “yard/interchange siding.”

Later,

K

That’s not good. When you get a chance, select “Help/Support/Send DB” and email me a copy of your database. That’ll give me some hints.

This is from a clean, fresh install?

As a test, I just built a new DB from scratch.

Added 2 locations
Added 1 siding to each location (one marked as yard)
Added 2 industries to each location (everything needing boxcars)
Added 5 boxcars
Created one train serving both locations, all industries.

Went into run trains, and you’re right, I can’t build a train, no cars found. Exited the program to load up the software in the debugger. Ran the program, and it works.

I think I have a handle on what the problem is. There is some startup processing that validates car locations. I should also run that when the Run Trains window is loaded. But try exiting the program and re-loading, see if that helps.

Re-launched the software, and all seems to work. (You don’t work for Avid, do you? I will definitely say your software support is worlds better–i.e, you actually have answers… :wink: ) Now to see how the software handles car movements compared to the Excel spreadsheet I’ve been using.

Question… Is there a provision for forwarding a car from one depot to the next on the line? I’ve got a weekly LCL delivery that comes in from the interchange, stops at the Blacklog depot, then the next day moves to Shade Gap (the next station on the line) and then to Neelyton, then back to the interchange on the 4th day.

Later,

K

Hm. No way right now to do that. I’ll have to ponder how to set that up.

I think that could be an issue. TrainOps seems to be designed to run a single operations session, generating loads based upon your ratios for each industry. The continuity to the next session is there, as loads turn into empties, and empties into loads, but there isn’t any predetermined route for a particular car, or even type of car.

For me, it works perfectly, as my operating sessions are few and far between. I have no real memory of where a specific car has been; though TrainOps certainly can tell me.

Now, if I could only get the rain to stop for a few days I might have a chance to prepare for the next session.

Bruce Chandler said:
Now, if I could only get the rain to stop for a few days I might have a chance to prepare for the next session.
Don't hold your breath (unless of course the water gets over your head). I just heard a forecast that was basically, Light rain, followed by fog and rain, followed by heavy rain, turning to light rain. Then mostly rain followed by a little rain. I don't think we will see the sun before June.

At least the snow piles have melted :slight_smile:

Bob McCown said:
As a test, I just built a new DB from scratch.
Test

Did you pass this time Roos?

NO:(

Can we stop doing this in EVERY thread with the word ‘test’ in it? Thanks.

Bob,

I haven’t started rebuilding my DB yet, I guess I wait for the “can’t find cars” to be resolved.

HJ: When was the last time you updated the software? You shouldn’t be getting cars not found.

Just a few days ago, then I noticed the posts … and chickened out. I’ll give it a try later in the week, probably need to simplify my scheme for starters, since I had some strange stuff on the last go-around. :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m just getting started trying TrainOps. My operating scheme is to have a train leave the yard and drop/pickup cars at trailing point sidings along the way to the end, turn around (on a wye) and return switching the sidings that were facing point on the way out (now trailing point).

1. It doesn’t allow me to return to the same area twice (return trip), ie.e can’t enter same location again when building a train.
  2. If I set up two trains, one Northbound, one Southbound and run them sequentially, it doesn’t know to take cars out on the first train for the second train to deliver them. The return train has no yard near it to pick up cars from. I thought of duplicating locations (name1, name2) for North and South trains, but it still won’t know to take cars on train 1 that train 2 needs to deliver.

Any ideas on out and back locals?

Give each siding a unique name and enter them in sequential order