Large Scale Central

Nickel Silver

Anyone have any ideas how to get nickel silver rail joiners off of NS rail? I have a bunch of used rail with joiners, and the joners are seemingly welded on, they’re next to impossible to pull off, even with pliers, and/or some ‘persuasion’. I’ve been bending the joiner away on one side and removing them that way. WD40 doesn seem to do anything. Going to try 3-in-one next…

Heat?

A penetrant designed for the job might work, like “Liquid Wrench”. Also working the joiner open and closed a little, just to work the liquid in.

I’d try dipping the end of the rail with the joiner in some CLR, which is acidic and often removes rust and corrosion. It must be some kind of corrosion you have.

Heat might help expand the joiner, like playing the flame over the joiner, but I’d worry about melting or softening ties.

Regards, Greg

Bob McCown said:
Anyone have any ideas how to get nickel silver rail joiners off of NS rail? I have a bunch of used rail with joiners, and the joners are seemingly welded on, they're next to impossible to pull off, even with pliers, and/or some 'persuasion'. I've been bending the joiner away on one side and removing them that way. WD40 doesn seem to do anything. Going to try 3-in-one next....
Could they possibly have been soldered on? I'd try heat first. If that doesn't work go to a locksmith and buy a spraycan of the penetrant they use for freeing locks.

Cut them off, use rail clamps.