Large Scale Central

NGRC June 2018 HOTLANTA GEORGIA!!!!!

Ron,

My condolences to you, for your loss.

My Condolences also, Ron…

Ron

Message sent.

Long day. 10:00 pm and we just got back to the hotel. Pics tomorrow.

My condolences, Ron. Truly sorry for your loss.

My condolences Ron

Ron such sad news … My Condolences

Monday - Tennessee

Going down to the boat ride. This is actually the gift shop and restaurant.

I found Joe without badges or seeing eye dogs. Jerry Bohlander and Dennis Rayon were there too but they did not want their pictures made with Boomer. :frowning:

Getting ready to eat.

Fighting with the ships pilot for control…

… and the captain explaining that if I ever came into the wheelhouse again he would make me walk the plank.

Next we went to the State Veterans Cemetery to see the graves and memorial to Andrews Raiders. This is the group of Union Soldiers who stole “the General” from the Confederate army. They were unsuccessful. For their efforts they were awarded the Medal of Honor (the first to ever receive it).

We finished the day with a trip to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum where we road the train and toured the yard. The highlight was seeing the 2-8-0 that pulled our train being turned on the turntable. I have videos of the engine on the table and switching in the wye. I will get those edited and posted next week.

A live steam model built in 1929…

Last time I climbed on the equipment Ben ratted me out for a Klondike Bar… Hollywood is more cagey. He negotiated for a cash reward before telling the Cinder Dicks what I was doing.

More to come.

Dang Boomer y’all are having a great time! Just think how much more fun it would be if Rooster and I were there!!

Pete Lassen said:

Dang Boomer y’all are having a great time! Just think how much more fun it would be if Rooster and I were there!!

I know right!.. And we haven;t even gotten thrown in jail yet. Although Hollywood hit the press to test button a couple of times today.

Lord willing and the crik don’t rise, I’ll see you sometime late tomorrow afternoon. You should have went on up another step, Boomer. The sign said don’t climb “here”. I believe you could have stepped right over the sign and went on in and been perfectly within the rules.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said: Although Hollywood hit the press to test button a couple of times today.

I’m still working on the old boy have patience !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKpFS9GsInk

I must be doing something wrong. Boomers got all the free time to post and I’m writing bail checks every 3 hours

i

Tuesday (Part 1) Andersonville

The National POW Museum. Located on the North end of the Andersonville Prison site the museum covers the experience of POWs from all wars starting with the American revolution. There are many artifacts, pictures and video interviews with former prisoners and their families. Several full size exhibits embody the treatment and living conditions of prisoners. There was not a lot of talking…it was a rather solemn atmosphere.

There was so much to see we could have spent the entire day in the museum.

Tuesday (Part 2) Andersonville

The prison site is South of the POW museum. The old stockade is marked by two rows of white posts: the stockade wall and the interior deadline where prisoners were shot without warning if they crossed it. The Northeast corner of the stockade has been restored along with the North Gate where Union prisoners were brought in from the rail-head in the town of Andersonville (eerily foreshadowing the same treatment of the Jews in WWII 80 years later).

We walked the perimeter. About two miles around. We could have driven it but it would not have had the same feeling. Hollywood described the place and treatment of the POWs as “hateful”.

Looking across the prison site from the southeast corner. Soldier Fork (sweetwater creek) is in the center hidden in the low brush, the various state monuments are visible o the hill top near the Northwest corner.

Restored North Gate where POWs were brought in.

We did not have time to see the Veterans Cemetery where over 13,000 POWs are buried.

Tuesday (Part 3) Andersonville

For lunch we drove into the town of Andersonville about 1 mile away. We had lunch at Andersonville Station, a cafe that specializes in hamburgers. Very good and huge. Afterwards we explored the town which has had over a dozen civil war era buildings brought in to create a giant museum of architecture (a huge work in progress). A two tone green depot…can you believe that.

We also visited the Drummer Boy Museum. It is a one room collection of civil war artifacts and an amazing HO scale model of the prison and rail-head. The Diorama was built by the descendant of Major Wirz, the Prison commander who was later trialed and hanged for war crimes.

Once again we could have spent an entire day just in the town.

Hey look!!! Rooster showed up…

Tuesday (Part 4) Drag and Brag

As you all may remember the NGRC Tulsa D&B was attended by me alone… This year I am proud to say that attendance increased by 300%… meaning there were 4 of us.

Attendees included:

Well… me of course

Hollywood

Bob and Sue Cope

I brought #37 and Bupp’s Fireworks

Hollywood brought BL-2

Bob and Sue brought a massive 4500 track foot layout…which is over at the convention site.

At this rate we will have 12 people next year… Aww yes… from the tiny acorn the mighty oak does grow.

We have a college band staying at our hotel. One of the young men stopped by our tables to tell us that the locomotives were “Bitchin”. We got several oooohhs and awes from other people in the lobby.

I know you wet blankets are sorry you missed it…insert weak pathetic excuses below.

You guys look a little worse for wear in that last photo, nice update but why isn’t it in the “Live from Atlanta” thread instead of here ?

Can you identify the 3 in the last picture, please? Strictly for the paperwork you understand?