Large Scale Central

Newbie with a question

Greetings. Been interested in the hobby for about 3years and now getting ready to break ground on the “Silver Fox Railroad”. I have been amassing supplies including a Bridgewerks power supply (starting with track power), a locomotive and rolling stock, and even some buildings (alright, only 2so far). Visited a number of railroads as part of the “Shoreline” club open house here on the Delmarva this year.

I have attended the ECLS in York every year and picked up 160 feet of Train Line brass 4 ft straights for a good price. I did over buy since I do not have any curves. Hence my question. Should I go sectional and order a box of R3 curves that I have designed my phase 1 layout with, or should I order their rail bender? I will be adding additional curves in phase 2 and phase 3 expansion plans for 2011 and 2012 respectively.

I know that the track I have is not flex track, but if I recall, non flex track can be bent if every other tie is cut under the track. I am still researching this, but would like confirmation. I have read a number of sites for larce scale and have decided to make Large Scale Central my home.

I am building a raised bed and the initial garden will be 48’ x 16’ and 24" to 30" to the top rail. Researching railroad ties being available since an abandoned spur is be demolished as part of a road expansion. If I cannot obtain the ties, then I will either use masonry block or landscaping timbers. That decision will be made on Labor Day weekend as that is when I start construction. Luckily I have access to enough dirt to fill the planter, and will be borrowing a neighbors tractor with front end loader to move the direst from 2 yards over to mine.

So, looking long term, I think getting the rail bender is a good choice over going sectional. I can go up to R7 curves with the bender, but am limited to R3 curves if going sectional (I am staying with Train Line since I am avoiding Chinese production. Since my layout is in the era of wood burring steam, I can use Hartland locomotives when I expand my roster.

Going on web pricing, the bender will run me $300 verses $165 for a box of R3 curves that are currently on special. If I wait until Fall ECLS, I have a coupon for 10% off from them, lowering the cost to $270 plus PA tax.

Thoughts?

Since the PA tax is 6%… (assuming you’re out of state and plan to dodge the ‘use tax’) your coupon isn’t worth much more than the cost of entry to the show… Unless they discount it even further there. What is the cost of gas vs shipping? How much inconvenience would it make to not have them until the show. If you can’t roll your fill, you need to expect it will all settle, unevenly … in some places it may settle a LOT.

Sectional is easier to work with, but limits what you can do. Flex track and/or a bender lets you do transitions and fit the track to the space. It will also cut down on the number of joints to possibly give you trouble.

You can bend the 4 ft track by cutting the ties every so often. I started with sectional track because I did not want to spend the money on a bender but later found out I could make one for ten bucks. My expension was done with 4ft straight track Aristo. It takes a little more practice with a homemade one. Garden RR mag had plans for one (i will have to get the issue date if interested) Some will tell you the bender is worth the $250 because it will make life easier and that is true but for me I would rather put that money towards more track or a new engine.
You chose a great site wiith great people and one rooster LOL Cant wait to see the start of your layout.

Win Joy, If your going to the show anyway you may be able to buy over the phone and pick up prepurchase at the show. No tax and still get your 10% and no shipping

If you have the means to purchase the Train-Li bender, do so.
I used both sectional and “flex” track on my layout.
The money I invested in the Train-Li bender was worth every penny.

Check with Robbie at RLD Hobbies. He has a bender, which Robbie, and his father developed, which according to other people who have it, I do not, but talked with him about it, and others who have it say it works just as well, but for less money!! Check it out, and give him a call. Great guy, and excellent service. Regal

Rail Bender all the way…without a doubt. As to which one. I prefer the bender by Train-Li, just one knob to turn, ergo “me” proof :wink: And if you use a bender on Non flex track remove all the screws and cut the tie joiners on both sides but alternate sides so they still remain connected. I tried cutting just one side only and the result is induced super elevation.