Large Scale Central

New Weathering Options?

So I was with Herself today as she was exploring the wonderful world of watercolour inks…

…and was twiddling my thumbs until I remembered a clinic at the NGRC on weathering using chalks.

Near the chalks I saw this rack with pretty pigments and was about to push on when I saw this page clipped to the rack.

Has any one had any experience with the Panpastel weathering kits?

2 Likes

I purchased one of the weathering kits a couple of years ago. have not used much, in part because it takes forever to cover a large scale car with these pigments.

Al P.

Weathering powders are great, I’ve used them for ages on things. I used them on my SD45 and started using them for weathering on my hoist.

2 Likes

Yep. Ya just can’t get that look from paint. I need to get me some.

My previous weathering attempts were with Floquil weathering pens that did a good job.

I was impressed with the company’s video on the link above, that when using an eraser, the pigments disappear and don’t smear, yet blend well.

Is this MasterClass material?

I have come to love weathering chalks. I make my own because I am cheap by buying artist chalk sticks (not the oil based ones) and then either sand them down to get the powder or scrape them with an exacto knife. The stone work on my MIK project has four colors of chalks. And as Bob has shown it foes a great job of adding rust.

Also here is a tip I learned awhile back. What is the very best way to simulate something being dusty and dirty you might ask. Use dirt. I dried some dirt in my oven to get rid of any hint of moisture and then sifted it with a very fine mesh to give me a weathering chalk that looks just like dirt because that is what it is.

Ghetto (cheap) chalks and hairspray have always worked very well for me if you care to put the time into weathering. The best part is if you don’t like it you can always wash it off.

Just saying an only my opinion…ABCDEFG ,YMMV, HIJKLMNO, Now I gotta P
:rooster:

I remember seeing somewhere that garage / yard Sales you can find ladies makeup powders and they will work .

Damn Pete I wish you’d have brought this up sooner. Could have changed the thread title to Ladies Makeup Powders for Manly Activities :smiley: