Large Scale Central

New Turntable

Hi guys, I’ve not posted much here, but I thought you guys might like to see pictures of my new turntable.

Welcome Mark - I remember your name from that other place. Nice looking table. What is the pivot made from?

Jon, I also remember you from another forum! How is good old New Fairfield? I’m looking forward to a trip to Bethel in August. Hopefully 3025 will be finished and running on the Valley. The turntable itself is made of two pieces. The top is a piece of 1/4" thick plate steel (plain carbon) 4" wide x 48" long. It has a 1" round bar welded to the center. The base is a 1/4" plate with a piece of 1" ID pipe brazed to it. The round bar slides in the pipe. It rides a 1" ceramic grinding ball. This was all done years ago when I worked in the test lab and the maintenance tech was bored and wanted to make something. You can see a better picture of it here:

(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270452_2152251735915_1535050491_2265903_3114172_n.jpg)

The turntable bridge is made with two 1x3 x 53" long pieces of white pine. The squarish pieces are made from a 1x8 board, and I intend to add walkways at some point. I painted the wood pieces with KILZ primer first. THen, I painted the yellow for the lettering. I used 1" vinyl stickers from the craft store to spell out SAFETY FIRST and then sprayed the whole thing with black gloss paint. The upper part of the turntable (the steel part) was added after the wood was painted and also painted black. The track is a single piece of 54" stainless. I had to paint the plate steel ribs with acrylic craft paint, and was debating on detailing the rivets. Ultimately, I decided to pass. Anyway, glad you liked it! Mark

Hey Mark,

Good to hear from you. There are a lot of people you’ll know.

Hey Mark
Glad to see you posting here. Welcome, even though you’ve been registered for a while.

Nice looking turntable… :slight_smile:

welcome to the ““Madhouse””…

Yes Mark welcome. Andy I don’t think it would be such a ‘madhouse’ iffing we deep fryed that poor excuse for a chicken. :slight_smile:

Randy McDonald said:
Yes Mark welcome. Andy I don't think it would be such a 'madhouse' iffing we deep fryed that poor excuse for a chicken. :)
Randy.... I can't argue with you on that one.... :)

Welcome in Mark. Nice table

Hey,
Welcome Mark. Love the turntable.

Hiya Mark! Neat new turntable! :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,

I didn’t realize you did not post frequently here. Anyway welcome; you will find it is a very gentlemanly place to be - rare to see hanging, drawing and quartering taking place. ( Oh! I guess as this is an American based Forum I should have said ‘lynching’ lol

I know you model, as I do, 1:29 but there is a lot of very fine narrow gauge railroads to be seen here. In fact it was reading this Forum that persuaded me to to keep some of my 1:22.5 stock.

The turntable to great - just got to watch that son of yours doesn’t think its a carousel lol

Thanks, everyone. I wasn’t sure if there’d be much interest here on my entire project, but I can certainly post the pictures. It is a LOT easier to copy and past the pictures here than on the other websites, thanks for keeping it easy!

Mark

Mark Oles said:
Thanks, everyone. I wasn't sure if there'd be much interest here on my entire project, but I can certainly post the pictures. It is a LOT easier to copy and past the pictures here than on the other websites, thanks for keeping it easy!

Mark

Mark,

That’s Bob’s work. He does a nice job and runs a clean shop.

Actually we are under the impression that pictures are REQUIRED in order to discuss any project, even if its not even going to be started for two or three years…

Hey to another PAer.
The loco looks like it is floating in air.
Nice Pic.

Bart Salmons said:
Actually we are under the impression that pictures are REQUIRED in order to discuss any project, even if its not even going to be started for two or three years........
Nice dig, Bart..............subtle but to the point...............;)

Yes, pictures are a must, words are really over-rated…:wink:

Bart Salmons said:
Actually we are under the impression that pictures are REQUIRED in order to discuss any project, even if its not even going to be started for two or three years........
And the problem here is.......? :) :) ;)

Mark nice turntable. You will fit in well here as long as you keep posting pictures. If you cant tell we love pictures.
HIf you ment Bethel NY (site of woodstock) stop by my place Im not that far from their, less then an hour south.

He meant Bethel, CT - Just a stones throw from me, and still just over an hour from you.