Large Scale Central

New TrainOps User with a noob question

Hi all

I just bought the latest version of TrainOps the other day and have started using it. All seems to be going reasonably well, but was wondering if there is a way to reset it so it starts from the beginning.

What happened was I’ve been slowly working up my layout under the Physical Config, and testing it out. When I had things reasonably completed, I ran a couple of days through it, however now I want to start back at the first day. The reason is I use a place called “Fiddle” which is my storage shelves for all the rollingstock. This is set to be the yard tracks and I start all trains from here, so that TrainOps tells you which stuff to pull off the shelves and then run it to the locations specified in the Switch list. After a couple of days under TrainOps, I then want to return all back to “Fiddle” to represent that I’ve packed everything away. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony,

I’m pretty sure the answer is Not really.

You can start over fro scratch though. To do that you will need to move the database file from it’s normal location. When the program starts, if it finds no database it will create a new one.

This will cause you to loose everything you have done from day 1, including your layout and car inventory. If that’s what you want look in C:\Documents and Settings[i]Your User Name[/i]\Application Data\TrainOps and move or rename the file operations.db3

Thanks Jon

I was hoping that I could just reset the car locations back to the start rather than lose everything, so looks like I will just have to try and run TrainOps to get as much back to the “Fiddle” location as possible.

Thanks for your help
Tony

Hopefully others will chime in, but the way I understand using TrainOps, or any similar program, will require staging your layout prior to each operating session and clean up after. You can get a car location report that will tell you were to put the cars.

Here’s how I would do it…

Starting point - All cars in Fiddle Yard but TrainOps has them out on the layout.
Print a Car Location Report.
Build a staging train. Block your cars to make spotting them per the location report as easy as possible.
Run the staging train, spotting all cars per the report.
In TrainOps, run one of your trains and print the paperwork.
Run the operating train(s) to completion.
Terminate the train in TrainOps.
Run the staging train again, collect all cars and bring them back to Fiddle.

If you don’t have a connection from your storage to the operating layout, then each car is carried to and from it’s last location and Fiddle.

I think that it may not be workable to have your storage shelving set up as a yard the way you envision.

Thanks Jon

I suppose I will have to get used to the delights of the stager and the sweeper as part of the operating sessions. Had fun with them on my HO layout, so shouldn’t be too much of a problem in the garden.

Cheers
Tony

Sweeper - I forgot that name. Thanks!