Large Scale Central

New Site Software (was: Sneak peek)

Andy Clarke said:

Bob, thanks for the update…

I appreciate all the work you put into this site…

What you do is way above my head, but it is appreciated…

Suck up !

Time for another sneak peek. I have been working on the importer most of this weekend. I have the member importer and the forum category importer working, and I just started working on the topics and posts. Topics seems to be right. Here’s what the new site looks like with topics (but no posts yet)

The sneak peak looks fantastic, Bob, very nice, very clean and organized…and, honest to God, you have no idea how much I appreciate all the work you’re doing on this. Appreciate isn’t really good enough to express it.

Thank you!

Looking sleek!

Looking good, Bob. And like John, I really appreciate all the hard work you are putting into the new software. I wish there was something we could all do to help with the transition … well, one thing we can do to assist is simply be patient, change can be frustrating and it will take some time to get all the kinks worked out. Again, many thanks for all you do for us over grown kids (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

John Passaro said:

If Russell wants to see some serious sucking up, lemme show him some (and then he can go jump in a lake, hahahahahaha!!!):

Was the cheap shot really necessary, considering Rooster’s comment was not directed at you?

A status update on the new software. I have users and forums importing correctly. Here’s a couple screenshots from the phone version of the site, showing the category view and the recent posts view.

A couple more things to figure out, like importing Avatars, making links from the old software go to the right place in the new software, and deciding on a chat engine.

Been looking at chat engines. There are a number of multi-user chats out there, that are embeddable into a website. All of them are the auto-refreshing type, not like the nph-client clone (click to refresh) that I’ve had here on LSC since the beginning (and that was used elsewhere as well). None of them save history back forever like we do here (not without spending a bunch of money, anyway) though I haven’t seen much indication that people look beyond the last day or two. A few allow inline expansion of photo links, most don’t. Many of them charge per-user or per-message, or have number of message limits.

I’m still evaluating, but I’m currently down to two candidates. Stay tuned.

Bob,

Just a curious question. What percentage of the registered users of the forum use the chat feature?

Rick;

I don’t know what the percentage would be, but possibly you could join in on the chat…the main active time has changed to 20:00 ECT…and help increase the percentage a wee bit…you would be most welcome, to share your experiences, and knowledge with us, in a friendly group setting.

Rick Marty said:

Bob,

Just a curious question. What percentage of the registered users of the forum use the chat feature?

Had to go figure out how to find this, but here we are. In the last 60 days, 222 users have accessed the site. Of that, 17 have participated in chat. So less than 10% of users.

Here’s a short screen grab of what the new thread view will look like.

Rick Marty said:

Bob,

The UK site, Gscalecentral.net, uses a new daily thread which they call “The Coffee Lounge”. It seems to fulfill the same function?

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/wednesday-6th-october-2021.317468/

It sure looks good Bob. Hope it’s coming together for you AND will help make your life easier? (Is more $$$ needed?)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

It sure looks good Bob. Hope it’s coming together for you AND will help make your life easier? (Is more $$$ needed?)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

It will be cheaper to run, and has a large community behind the software that is constantly working on improving it, and extending it. It’s also easier to post pictures on.

Bob McCown said:

Bruce Chandler said:

It will be cheaper to run, and has a large community behind the software that is constantly working on improving it, and extending it. It’s also easier to post pictures on.

Well, that’s cool. I find it amazing that folks are so willing to contribute to improve a package! Good stuff!

Well if it doesn’t work don’t blame me!

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: This is where I miss Bart (back in the day in the hood) so you can blame him instead!

Bob Cope said:

John Passaro said:

If Russell wants to see some serious sucking up, lemme show him some (and then he can go jump in a lake, hahahahahaha!!!):

Was the cheap shot really necessary, considering Rooster’s comment was not directed at you?

Mr. Cope,

It’s,it is absolutely a necessity in my opinion!

Rooster said:

Well if it doesn’t work don’t blame me!

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: This is where I miss Bart (back in the day in the hood) so you can blame him instead!

I actually CAN blame you for some issues with the new software. It has a “post quality” algorithm that rejects all your nonsense all-smiley posts and the like and tosses them out. :slight_smile:

Well that’s a interesting ! A “No Rooster filter” some people would pay extra for that feature! You should offer it as a premium subscription! No for me I like the stuff he posts .