Large Scale Central

New Layout about done

After many pickup loads of dirt and lots of track laying Ron Teten’s layout in Lexington, NE, is about done. We finished up the trestle on Sunday and he stained it afterwards. We made the bents in my wood shop from cedar and redwood. Ron did a nice job on the two Garden Texture bridge kits. We hope to get the rest of the track(LLagas Creek code 250 aluminum) down during the week.

The small Garden Texture bridge.

The east end shows his wife’s green thumb is working well.

The south side features a large tunnel/storage area.

The North side winds down to the trestle on the east end. http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/JerryBarnes/Ron's%20Layout/Rgr5.JPGG My McKeen car tries out the large Garden Texture bridge.

Now that is SWEET!

Looks great!!! Nice looking layout…but where’s that awesome steel bridge he made?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

Looking good.

Bil, this is Ron Teten’s layout in Lexington. Not Ron Senek in Grand Junction.

There is something unnatural about a layout being “almost done.” :lol:

I think “almost done” should be the name of the railroad. like folks who name their boats “Never Again II”

Almost Done & Western

East Almost & Done

Almost Done Southern

That does have a nice ring to it!!! :slight_smile:

Steve Featherkile said:
There is something unnatural about a layout being "almost done." :lol:
In that case, my layout is the most natural thing around ... it ain't nearly done :D Mind you, the builder is half-baked, too, or so my wife says ...

We got the track laid on the trestle this evening, so the main loop is done!

Chris Vernell said:
Steve Featherkile said:
There is something unnatural about a layout being "almost done." :lol:
In that case, my layout is the most natural thing around ... it ain't nearly done :D Mind you, the builder is half-baked, too, or so my wife says ...
Hmmmmmmmm......

Half Baked Central

Nah. :lol:

Anyone that says his/her layout is “Done” has no idea of what model railroading, especialy the outdoor variety, is all about, as a hobby.
A model railroad has to grow, along with the person that builds it. Just like a real railroad is never “Finished” or is done. Anyone with a true hobby, grows with his hobby, if he and his intrests, are to last and still be fun.

There are always improvements to be made, to any railroad. Changes keep the hobby alive.

In my many years in the hobby; I've seen too many people, say that their railrod is "Finished".....and shortly after, they get bored, and the sale signs go up; and they are of looking at some other interest, that won't please them for long, as they get bored with it too.

This is why we see so many people that build "Roundy-Roundies" getting bored....after a while, the question comes up..."What else will it do"....or....I built it for the grandchildren, but they aren't interested any more....no-wonder; children of today, after watching the trains go round and round, are the ones asking   "What else will it do"

Building a model railroad, can be an education, along with being a hobby…teach what the railroad industry is all about, while learning about electricity, electronics, carpentry, and many of the arts. History can be part of the education, along with the fellowship you get, from the great people in the hobby.

NEVER, NEVER, let your railroad be done, or finished…let yourself grow, along with your hobby…PLEASE.

Nice sermon Fred :slight_smile: I agree 100%

Ron has lots of plans for the layout, as does his wife. This is just a first step guys, but getting a train running is a great hurdle and gives one incentive to keep going.

I still remember getting the first train running looooooonnnnnnggg ago! Congratulations!