Large Scale Central

New Forum Launch

Bob,

Thanks for creating this new forum. I look forward to seeing some interesting things here.

Great idea Bob, looking forward to this forum.

Very cool Bob. Anyway you can switch my Live steam micro layout topic into here?

This is coolness!!!

Shawn Viggiano said:

Very cool Bob. Anyway you can switch my Live steam micro layout topic into here?

Good idea. Victor’s “Pizza” and other applicable layouts as well!
Ralph

Good idea since the How - To is quite different.

Bob how hard is it to move thread?, my pizzas threads and micros and my harbor layout thread should probably be here.

In tracks and trestles forum.

Pizzas:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/8809/portable-pizza-layout

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/13034/my-latest-distraction-personal

Indoor layout:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/15261/new-layout-new-reckless-experi

Micros:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/16856/a-new-micro

The Indoor and Micro forum is off to a great start.

I love the idea or bringing in ‘indoor layout’ threads from other forums.

When I suggested forming a new indoor forum I thought this new forum might be good

to discuss indoor layouts, micro/pizza-layouts (Vic have you trademarked this yet),

traditional modules, storage, workshops.

We’re doing great with Vic’s Pizza layout threads. I’m curious if others have started building

Pizza-style layouts.

Looks like Vic has a micro layout going too.

In terms of indoor layouts I’ve seen some amazing ones out on the web so I know

there are individuals working on them. I’m planning a limited indoor layout myself and

don’t anticipate converting my entire basement to a large scale railroad.

I haven’t seen much about traditional modules here. I’ve seen various specs on the web

that particular groups use. I’m wondering if there is much work on modules here. I know

my local large scale group dropped their module group a long while ago.

I’m curious what percentage of large scale members run large scale indoors or run micro

or Pizza layouts.

In terms of storage I was wondering what types of structure folks have built to store their

trains. I’m particularly interested in layouts where the trains are run into the basement and

stored in a yard there. I’ve also seem some impressive stand-alone train sheds.

For workshops I’m curious how others have set up their workshops. If your outdoor

trains are stored inside, or if you only have indoor trains I’m wondering if some folks

integrate the workshop into the storage areas. Looking for ideas.

Finally I was wondering about a table top module spec, something in between Vic’s

Pizza layout and a traditional layout. Something portable and easy to set up. I’ll start

a new thread on this soon.

Since I’m gonna be stuck inside for the next six months I’m happy we’ve kicked off the

Indoor Micro Forum.

David

Thanks for moving my threads. Now I have an excuse to work on them for some updates.

David,
Ric Golding’s Timesaver is modular.
I believe the club Andy Clarke and Ric belong to also has a large modular layout.
Maybe start a new thread and they will chime in.
Ralph

David Fielding said:

For workshops I’m curious how others have set up their workshops. If your outdoor trains are stored inside, or if you only have indoor trains I’m wondering if some folks integrate the workshop into the storage areas. Looking for ideas.

Finally I was wondering about a table top module spec, something in between Vic’s

Pizza layout and a traditional layout. Something portable and easy to set up. I’ll start

Since I’m gonna be stuck inside for the next six months I’m happy we’ve kicked off the

Indoor Micro Forum.

David

David.

My workshop is in the (former) garage

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1/NewStaging04_s.jpg)

That is the new footprint with the revamped staging which provides a lot of storage tracks.

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/html/workshop.html

The link is to the write-up on my hobby website, I try to make good use of the vertical space.

:wink: :slight_smile:

I am sure this will become a good place to read. I am fortunate in that only two or three weeks of the year, usually January due to Siberian winds blowing my way, that I am unable to run trains in my back yard. But many do not see much of their RR when winter arrives. It might be an encouragement to some folks to build another layout indoors and we never know when we, ourselves, might have to move from the back yard to the garage or basement…

HJ,

I was just posting here to give folks an idea of what I’m hoping to get out of the new forum.

I’m wondering if a separate thread on your storage yard and workshop would help keep it from

getting lost in the new forum launch thread.

The diagram you posted here is slightly different from the one on your site.

(In you new thread on workshops) I’d like to see more shots of the yard. It looks like there’s one

track that heads outside? I see trains in one of the pictures of your workshop but it looks like the

tracks wrap around it in the diagram above. I would love to see more photos as this is what I’m

thinking about right now.

David

In terms of topics for discussion on the indoor forum I forgot to mention dioramas. I recall seeing

one large scale modeler who builds dioramas. He builds the diorama, photographs it, then scraps it and

starts a new one in the same space. I need to find a link but this is another neat large scale modeling

area that uses a limited indoor area that I believe is perfect for this forum.

I believe Vic reuses his Pizza-box layouts over time so this is similar but these other dioramas are

more like a fixed indoor layout. The main idea being that you limit your layouts sprawl by continually

recycling your existing layout space. I think many of us complete a section and then expand the empire.

Definitely of interest to those that desire to limit their layouts while keeping it fresh.

David Fielding said:

HJ,

I was just posting here to give folks an idea of what I’m hoping to get out of the new forum.

I’m wondering if a separate thread on your storage yard and workshop would help keep it from

getting lost in the new forum launch thread.

The diagram you posted here is slightly different from the one on your site.

(In you new thread on workshops) I’d like to see more shots of the yard. It looks like there’s one

track that heads outside? I see trains in one of the pictures of your workshop but it looks like the

tracks wrap around it in the diagram above. I would love to see more photos as this is what I’m

thinking about right now.

David

Hi David,

OK coming up later today. The yard (Samedan) is one end of a point to point line being built in the garden.

David Fielding said:

have a look over here:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17297/under-pressure

Korm,

Awesome. I wonder if that thread is in the wrong forum :^) … needs to be cross-listed.

I’m actually thinking of something slightly different…and maybe impossible…more like a small

foot locker…remember those…that opens up and folds out into a layout…I’d better get a thread

going on this to collect ideas and feedback…

Thanks

footlocker… must be a mighty broad one.
or you need special gap fillers between the different footlockers.