Large Scale Central

New Bridge/Tunnel on Spring Creek

I got my new dual track tunnel and bridge set in, after a couple of days of back breaking work. Tore out the old leaky waterfall/tunnel and put in the new tunnel. Ripped down some Trex for the ladder work from the tunnel to the new bridge, it is 14’ long and 15" wide. I had feared the bridge would look too big for my layout, but the black paint toned down it’s size, I think and it looks fine to me-an I’m the one that counts.

Other end:

Across the layout:

Now, bad weather is moving in, so bee a week or more before I can temporarily lay down the outer loop track, will do the inner loop work in the spring, after we redo the waterfall-ran out of time for that project. WIll have to take up the outer loop some to give us workspace for that.

Looks fine to me!

Sa-weet! That really looks great!

I think it really looks good. Plus once the tracks are down it will make a hudge difference. You could always put a few larger trees by the bridge to help tone the size down. I think the size look fine though.

Nice looking bridge! You should be able to get some great train pictures once it’s complete.

I assume the bridge is made of steel tubing. What size did you use? How tall is the bridge?

Nice looking bridge…

Very nice bridge. It will be cool to see two trains passing.
Ralph

Well done.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Was supposed to get this done earlier, but had bad back problems for a couple of months. Chiro has me about fixed up though. Landscaping will be done in the spring. Bigger tree is a good idea
Shawn. Wife does the plants, I’m sure she would think of that. Had one by the trestle, but it was in the way, so cut it down.

Awesome bridge!

Bridge is 1/2" square tubing. I cut all the pieces and made a jig to hold them, so he could weld them pretty easily. I ground the welds some also. Used a LOT of Krylon black primer, then about 7 cans of Krylon gloss black.

AndyC is looking very close at your work. Major bridge construction is in the near future.

Jerry impressive looking bridge. Looks good. Looks like you been hanging around Marty to long. HeHe Later RJD

Very nice bridge Jerry. I envy those who can do such nice metal work. A few years back I almost had my very mechanically capable son convinced to build bridges for me if I bought him a welder. Soon after he got a license and discovered girls. The welding never happened and I haven’t seen him since :frowning:

Jon,
I did the cutting/grinding/cleaning and made a jig to hold the parts. Had a buddy , who is the shop teacher in a little town near here do the welding. I ground the welds and painted it in my barn. Don’t know how to weld and did not see much reason to get one and learn, since I saw no other projects on the horizon for it.

RJ, I already had some wood trestles, did not want another beside the old one, so decided to go with a metal bridge, since it was a 14’ span.

Good job on the bridge…:wink:

Jerry Barnes said:
Jon, I did the cutting/grinding/cleaning and made a jig to hold the parts. Had a buddy , who is the shop teacher in a little town near here do the welding. I ground the welds and painted it in my barn. Don't know how to weld and did not see much reason to get one and learn, since I saw no other projects on the horizon for it.
Well, then I envy guys who have buddies that can weld :D

Jon,
Check around, might find someone.

I have a neighbor that welds. He’d probably do it for a small fee (or a case of bheer) if I did all the hard work like the cutting and jig building. Many other unfinished projects to worry about before upgrading my bridges.