Large Scale Central

New additions to the In-ko-pah RR

The past few weeks I’ve been doing some detail work on the layout. I’ve built a couple new trestles, a pair of small stone arch bridges, two cast concrete tunnel portals, and a mine headframe with ore bin. You can see the entire album here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3009006&f=0

Or go straight to the first new photo here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=75943138

This first shot shows one of the new trestles. A stone outcropping supports a part of the trestle. This trestle is only only half finished – when the second half is in place it will be about 12 feet long.

The next photo is a different view of the same trestle, looking towards the east. I’ve drawn in a yellow line showing where the second half of the trestle will go.

The third new photo is a closer view of part of that trestle and the tunnel behind it. In the far background you can see the new mine headframe high on the cliff.

The fourth shot shows the second new trestle, which crosses Cora Canyon. Behind it is the concrete viaduct. Further back is a new miniature stone retaining wall and the two small stone arch bridges.

The fifth new photo is similar but from a slightly different angle. In the upper right corner you can also see the new concrete portals.

The next shot is from alongside the stone arch bridges, looking towards the concrete tunnel portals.

After that is a closeup shot of the concrete portals. These were cast in place. That was kind of a pain. It would have been easier to make the portals when the tunnel was originally constructed, but at the time I had something different planned for the portals.

The last photo shows the new mine headframe and ore bin, temporarily in position on the cliff. It’s not quite finished yet, there are still a few more details to be added. Next to the headframe is a mockup of the hoist house made from foamcore. This is the first time I’ve built a mockup before creating the final structure, and I’ve found it to be very helpful.

Eventually this mine will be served by a short, Gn15 mining tram which will reach the mine via a trestle.

Ray, it’s looking great. Keep going! You are an encouragement to the rest of us. :slight_smile:

Pretty cool, Ray!

-Brian

That’s epic, Ray! Your use of stone is especially interesting, and particularly well suited to a dry climate.

Reminds me of the Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyworld… :wink: …great job!!

Beautiful Ray !
Is there alot of manufactured stone on your layout ?

Bryan Johnson said:
Is there a lot of manufactured stone on your layout ?
Nope. Nearly all of it is natural stone. The only artificial stone is texturing on the steps and inside of the tunnels, and I think there may be a couple small spots where I used textured cement to blend something into the real stone.

Ray, that is coming along beautifully… Love the stone and fantastic bridges.

Bob