Large Scale Central

New Additions for my Rust Garden

My boss is leasing additional space from his landlord which required the landlord to come over and clean out some things he had stored there. I was chatting with him and noticed some old line shaft wheels on a cart and asked him about them, He said they were going to the metal scrapper so I offered to buy them. After talking a while he decided to give them to me. They immediately went to my car…

That pipe and valve at the bottom of the picture is an old gas light valve. He threw that in too

Today the wheels were placed outdoors where they will sit for the winter to gain some patina…

A close up reveals that these are probably cast with the spokes and the centers pressed on somehow…

In the spring I’ll place them somewhere in the Rust Garden at Indian Hill Junction.

You lucky dog.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Good find. I have a Hit-N-Miss engine with the matching belt driver on it. I have been looking for a pullie to drive something with it. Might you entertain parting with one ($), since you have two and I have none?

Typically they were cast all as one piece in a two part mold, and then they were bored to shaft size.

Dave - There might be a short shaft (about 3 feet) too. I’ll look tomorrow. I’d love to see one actually get used as intended - I’ll bring one in before it rains (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

There is a shaft, but not for these wheels. It has large brass bushings on it and a hanger that fits the bushings, but alas the part that closes the hanger on to the shaft has gone missing. If it is still there tomorrow I’ll take a picture if you are interested.

Nice score!

BTW if you have no interest in the gas line valve I could sure put it to use!

Edit for vulture picture!

Would you make it functional somewhere in your house??? I don’t have a use, just another piece of neat junk to display. Long ago I had a burner that would fit it, no idea where that went to. Would need some kind of base and a globe too.

So if we bring rusty things to York, you will take them home and give them a good home in your rust environment with their friends?

Daktah John said:

Would you make it functional somewhere in your house???

Yes and no …Yes I have a place for it on an old gas line that is flush with the wall. No it would not be hooked up to gas. I have thought of getting fitter rings and globes for the valves I have already and possibly putting LED’s with batteries in them. Why because I can and it would look cool ! I have shut off valves like that on all the other wall mounted lines and only need one if you wanna part with it .

Lou Luczu said:

So if we bring rusty things to York, you will take them home and give them a good home in your rust environment with their friends?

Any Railroad and/or 19th and early 20th century Industrial items - sure! This is a very early picture of the rust garden…

Rooster ¿ said:

Daktah John said:

Yes and no …Yes I have a place for it on an old gas line that is flush with the wall. No it would not be hooked up to gas. I have thought of getting fitter rings and globes for the valves I have already and possibly putting LED’s with batteries in them. Why because I can and it would look cool ! I have shut off valves like that on all the other wall mounted lines and only need one if you wanna part with it .

Certainly a more valid use that I would give it. Not sure how you will get it off the old black iron pipe, but you sure can try. The pipe it is on is about 2 feet long. I can shorten it so it ships cheaper if you want.

Daktah John said:

Rooster ¿ said:

Daktah John said:

Certainly a more valid use that I would give it. Not sure how you will get it off the old black iron pipe, but you sure can try. The pipe it is on is about 2 feet long. I can shorten it so it ships cheaper if you want.

Bring it all to York if you wish …no need to ship and I will trade you that valve for something in my rust garden…I love it!

Sounds good. Remind me when it gets close. Not 100% sure I will be there, but it’s on the plan.

Good find Jon. I really like that rust garden. Gives me some ideas.

Rooster ¿ said:

Daktah John said:

(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvPmUWhejelRuc9DkkSGT50vnFVY3PxIwZsJ3SS0zDK0GksiOl)

Shawn Viggiano said:

(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvPmUWhejelRuc9DkkSGT50vnFVY3PxIwZsJ3SS0zDK0GksiOl)

I’m disappointed !

You call that an explosion and have the balls to call yourself an eagle scout?

Haha but its in the shape of a rooster