Large Scale Central

Never seen steel trestle bents like that before

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=352944

"Radford Bean" said:
Remarks: UP 8278 leads a Canadian Pacific potash train across Sand Creek as it enters Sandpoint, Idaho. The train will eventually end up in Portland, Oregon, where the potash will be loaded onto ships bound for Asia.

Interesting. Be easy to model. Some copper pipe and cross-beams.

Actually that use to be a wooden trestle up until about 12 years ago. It’s located in Sandpoint, Idaho just north of town. Originally it belonged to the Spokane International Railroad until UP took over in the later 50’s. They actually used the old trestle while they drove those steel pilings into the ground. It was interesting to watch them do it.

Chuck

At the price of Copper pipe/tubing, that would be one expensive trestle. What would you use for the plates and angles? Some of that copper flashing you used for the roofing??

Bob C.

That’s not copper, it’s steel. Probably weathering steel which is a special steel alloy that is designed to oxidide slightly over time. It is rust resistant and never needs painting. Knowing that it replaced a wood trestle helpes explain the design as it was designed to be assembled quickly and the new bents fit in between the old wood bents. All of the concrete elements liik precast. Nice design.

No no no, Im thinking for a model, use copper pipes…

What about PVC pipe with Evergreen plastic crossties?

Roger Crooks said:
What about PVC pipe with Evergreen plastic crossties?
Wouldn't last too long outside, especially the Evergreen styrene, unless painted heavily.

The steel supports look like Cor-Ten steel. As Roger wrote, it is naturally protected by the rust that forms on the surface. Provides protection and a good looking surface without paint or heavy metal coatings.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel#Disadvantages

We have a freeway (I-280) in the San Francisco bay area that runs along the main SF water reservoirs. Paint or heavy metal coating (think galvanize) were considered to put the water supply at risk of contamination, so all the guard rails and other exposed steel components were made from Cor-Ten.

How about using thin wall steel tubing? I haven’t looked, but I’ll bet McMaster-Carr has something that would rust like Cor-Ten. Perhaps not actually Cor-Ten, but it would provide the same appearance and last for a really long time. Welding or brazing could be used to fabricate the bents. That would be a unique structure!

No, I won’t be building one. Too modern for my RR.

Happy RRing,

Jerry