Large Scale Central

Need paint help

I used to use airbrushes and floquil type RR colors. Got tired of all the cleaning and maintenance of the equipment so I switched to Tamiya rattle cans.
Has anyone found a suitable match to this Delton car?

I’m a modeler first and a runner of model trains second. My favorite part of modeling is the painting of the model which is the finishing touch for me. Since model railroad paints are just about gone today and true colors in spray cans are probably not going to match, mixing paints today are what I have to do to get colors to get what I want. Today I still can get my railroad colors from PBL, they are out of California and PBL is the top supplier/manufacture of Sn3 models in Colorado narrow gauge trains. There website does have narrow gauge paints color, and I have done business with Bill Peters for over 40 plus years. I today only model in large scale trains and my railroad has its own railroad name and I only use colors that I can find in Rustolium X4 spray can paints. One thing is you said you wanted an exact match, and this will probably only happen by you mixing the colors yourself and at the cost of model railroad paints today, this can get pretty expensive. Plus remember this, in the real world all railroad’s rolling stock does not match perfect, unless they were just paint, everything fads. Hope you can find this color at PBL. https://www.p-b-l.com/

1 Like

Maybe try Sherwin Williams for a computer match on the color and buy a quart or pint if possible. Just take the car with you

John, I don’t need an exact match. Like you said they fade over time.
I was hoping someone had used a rattle can close to that color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Satin-Claret-Wine-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-334062/307244859?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_003_SPRAY_PAINT-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_SprayPaint_PLALIA_BHU24&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_003_SPRAY_PAINT-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_SprayPaint_PLALIA_BHU24-71700000075826946-58700006496586419-92700058691145295&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmaO4BhAhEiwA5p4YLyZVycutyhssX2xurAsdeS_XbdUkRcjaRf-7_YWdUNB8cx4Bbb5Q6BoCln4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jerry

I’ve never tried using house paint on my models, I don’t think this would work too well. Model paint has the ability to shrink to a very thin coverage, this lets the model retain its detail when it dries. But if I ever buy a full-size railroad car, I might give Sherwin Williams a try.

i think, house paint is great to modell plaster walls, or natural stone. anything that needs to look rough.

When you say exact and me being a very good modeler, from experience the match is going to depend on how well you can do this match on your own. The reason I mentioned PBL paints is probably they have this color, it looks like the way early D&RGW coaches were painted in the early days before they went to Pullman Green. PBL paints are probably the correct color as Bill Petters is pretty much a stickler on his products being correct, but my question here is, did Delton get it exactly correct. Toy manufacture in many cases just get close to the color and many are just that, close. Good Luck in finding that color to match in a raddle can.

I use this red primer color a lot on my large scale rebuilds, excellent for railroad colors, but exact match, no way, but very close.

I’ve used latex enamel paint in the past with good success. I learned a trick. I mixed the paint with 25% Windex. It gives good flow through airbrush and extends drying times.