Large Scale Central

Need help with track dia.

Hi Guys

Can someone let me know if I have this right?? I have Llagas All. track code 250, number 6 switches, some where I read that the curve on a #6 is close to 16 ft dia. If this is right would a 16ft dia curve on the main line be correct to go with it? My thinking is the dia of the switch and main should match.

Another problem I have is the grade is around 5%, the area is about 110ft by 70ft If you where facing the area the lot slopes from left to right and back to front. The layout will be 1880s narrow gauge, the largest engine is a K27. Your thought’s please

Thanks Chuck

A true switch isn’t curved through the frog, and on the diverging route. So you don’t have to “match” the switch. But 16 foot curves would be a good choice if you can use them.

5% grade is rather extreme. Can you build the lower part on a raised beds or fill or something, to bring the grade down a little?

Large switches and broad curves are essential if you want to run big equipment like a K27. It can run on less but larger just looks better.

On my RR I have 2 spots that have 5’ diameter curves due to space constraints and they really limit what I can run. Most of the RR has 8’ and 10’ curves which are much better.

As for the 5% grade that is pretty steep on the up and down and it will limit the length of train that you can pull. If you add in curves to your grade it puts more strain on your engines gears. Like David said I would try to raise or lower parts of the RR to make it less of a grade.

Happy RRing

I have #6 switches and 14 foot diameter matched pretty well, so I’d bet it would work nice and smoothly with 16’.

As was mentioned, once you get away from the “toy” type switches to true prototypical switches, like your #6, they are not curved past the point rails through the frog.

But you are indeed correct that there are radii that “match” the “effective” curvature of the switch.

And yes, get that grade lowered, it is way too much.

Greg

I assume that the main line using the diverging route and the siding straight thru is only done on model railways, not 1:1?

Regards,

Peter.

It should be avoided, if possible in model railroads. The 1 to 1 guys do that not far from my house, but they have a sort of odd misalignment built in to make it work.