Large Scale Central

Need help determining value of LGB track items

I recently purchased the remaining (small) collection of a person getting out of the hobby. To get the few things I wanted… I had to buy it all. I was wondering what the value of boxes of LGB Rubber Roadbed may be worth. There are boxes of 61000X6 300mm and 61600X6. (The boxes are in great shape and the roadbed appears to be in very good shape. It looks dusty so I believe it has been used).

There is also a box of LGB track that looks like Nickel Silver (Did LGB make nickel silver? I have only seen brass). The box is new looking and marked 14061X6 1200mm. The track looks brand new.

Excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong place. Once I can get a feel for what this may be worth… I will determine if I want to sell or try to do a trade.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Russ

Russ,

It worth what ever you can get out of it. I seen things on E-bay not sell for much then a week later
go for a arm and a leg.

LGB did make stainless steel track.

LGB (Lehmann) had started to make a line of nickel silver plated track & switches a few years before they went bankrupt, but I never saw any listing for stainless steel track in any catalogs going back to the 1980’s…

The rubber roadbed seems to have limited appeal. It was never wildly popular as it was not suited for long term usage outdoors nor really necessary. For indoors it was very nice but very pricey (about $8-$10 per section on average) on top of (or shall we say underneath?) the track costs as well. Then there were the switch and crossing roadbed sections which were even costlier. You need to check eBay but presently I only found one seller there and he was asking $125 for a box of 6 #61600’s which is way over the top of reasonableness. You never mentioned what quantity of the stuff you have.

Hi Don and Al,
Thanks for the info.

I went to the sold items on Ebay and did see where some of these boxes of roadbed did sell in the $100 to $120 range. There was also a lot of switch and crossing roadbed sold in the $35 to $60 range. This is hard to imagine.

Thanks for your help.
Russ

The lgb track was nickel plated brass (no silver in the mix). Some lots had issue with the nickel plating flaking off so it was not a successful product line.

-Brian

Brian Donovan said:
The lgb track was nickel plated brass (no silver in the mix). Some lots had issue with the nickel plating flaking off so it was not a successful product line.

-Brian

Yes that is absolutely correct. thanks Brian. I got my smaller scale track mixed up with LGB. Nickel plated only and was not a big hit although it got them into the non-yellow track market.

Yeah if you find some idiot on Evil Bay that don’t know what he’s doing you will get yer arm and a leg purchase, just hope you get people to bid that are of the 10 or less rated purchases buyers those are “newbies” and will buy “anything” and pay "anything if they really want it!! Regal

Jerry Hansen said:
Yeah if you find some idiot on Evil Bay that don't know what he's doing you will get yer arm and a leg purchase, just hope you get people to bid that are of the 10 or less rated purchases buyers those are "newbies" and will buy "anything" and pay "anything if they really want it!! Regal
Yes Jerry, as one who has only 7 ebay transactions to his name I fully agree with you. :lol: :lol:

OTOH it is possible to have a very low transaction number because one knows exactly what one is doing and buys very little of the “bargoons” that show up on ebay, usually loosing out early at the preset max bid (the item’s real value). :wink: :smiley: :wink:

Well…
I decided to put one of the boxes of roadbed on evilbay for $.99 to see what happens. The item Id number is 200417484924 if anyone is interested.

Again, thanks for all the information. I wasn’t aware about the nickle silver LGB track.

Russ, looking good!

US $67.66

C. Nelson said:
Russ, looking good!

US $67.66

Yes… I’m suprised it is this high so early.

Funny thing is that the roadbed was part of a group of stuff listed on Craig’s List that the buyer must take all and do a local pick-up for the firm asking price. The stuff that was being sold was 2 Dash 9’s, 1 Aristo Pacific (2nd version), an extra vanderbuilt tender with 6 wheel trucks, 1 USA caboose, 10 USA Covered Hoppers, 6 car set of aristo heavy-weight passenger cars, a transformer, the new box of nickle plated LGB track, about another 80 feet of LGB track and about a dozen boxes of the roadbed (which I wasn’t interested in).

Gee… I hoping now that the roadbed alone may pay for what the whole lot cost. It did take me on a 7 hour drive (round trip) to do the local pick-up… which really wasn’t local. hahaha

Ebay secret, never put a sgtarting bid near what you think its worth or what you expect to get payed for it, high starting bid items rarely sell for much more than that opening bid, if anyone bids on it at all.

I have been selling alot of stuff recently clearing out the garage, all with starting bids $1. I sold some lot batches of old built up plastic model kits from my younger days, two of the lots sold for over $200 bucks each much to my pleasant surprise! better odds of a bidding war when you start low and gather alot of watchers. Good luck

Victor Smith said:
Ebay secret, never put a sgtarting bid near what you think its worth or what you expect to get payed for it, high starting bid items rarely sell for much more than that opening bid, if anyone bids on it at all.

I have been selling alot of stuff recently clearing out the garage, all with starting bids $1. I sold some lot batches of old built up plastic model kits from my younger days, two of the lots sold for over $200 bucks each much to my pleasant surprise! better odds of a bidding war when you start low and gather alot of watchers. Good luck

I have notice that also.
That is why I always start at $0.99. That gets peoples attention.

I had a number of Railroad Books that I sold about 5 years ago and I found you observation to be true. Books I thought would sell high were disappointments and others that I was going to give away sold high. Go figure?

That’s great Russ. Good tip Vic. I gave up selling a stack of RR books because I was getting no bids, but I was listing near what I thought was a fair price (below most used books on Amizon). Maybe I’ll try again at $1 starts. Costs less to list too.

Vic,
many years ago we were deprived of the right to post a reserve listing price on eBay. If we list at $0.99 and receive one bid then, that is the end list price!. EBay did their investigations and determined that the removal of a reserve price would boost potential of a sale by 17%. A little suprising that given their statistics, they have not taken away the reserve price from their major market (the United States).

My attitude on Ebay is not that of most Ebay sellers who are too greedy IHMO, I’m looking at it as I dont want to just trash something, I wont get piss for it at a yardsale (they draw the absolute cheapest people on the planet) so if I can get a few bucks -vs- just taking it to the dumpster…???

Victor Smith said:
My attitude on Ebay is not that of most Ebay sellers who are too greedy IHMO, I'm looking at it as I dont want to just trash something, I wont get piss for it at a yardsale (they draw the absolute cheapest people on the planet) so if I can get a few bucks -vs- just taking it to the dumpster...????
Huh?

Something must have been lost in the translation. Either that, or Vic is into the Old Fotheringslosh again. :slight_smile: :lol: