Large Scale Central

Need bridge railing ideas

Vincent: We have a club which meets monthly in Mass, occasionally in RI - Usually once a year in Jamestown, and this year once in Richmond- There are several members who post in these forums.

Phil

Phil Anastasia said:

Vincent: We have a club which meets monthly in Mass, occasionally in RI - Usually once a year in Jamestown, and this year once in Richmond- There are several members who post in these forums.

Phil

Let me know when the meetings are and I will see if I can make it to some of them!

So… here is what I am going with, nothing fancy, nothing expensive, nothing to difficult for me to handle… I think.

Decided to use some 3/8" x 2" wooden dowels and some poly string line that I have plenty of.
Total cost of materials was under $10

Just started this past Saturday, need to drill about a million holes so after getting a few done here is a glimpse of what it will look like… don’t laugh to hard, my building skills are VERY limited…

I have a lot of drilling and gluing to go, then I have to stain everything… then fish the poly line through all the tiny pilot holes… The good thing is I don’t have to finish it until spring!

Vincent,

Not a thing in the world wrong with that design and install.

Design is after all secondary to function and the function of the railing is to keep the cars and loco’s on the bridge in case of derailment.

Good job

Rick

Looking good Vinny. :wink:

Almost done!
I wish I could say that due to my upcoming wedding, being real busy at work, and just not having a lot of free time is the reason why this project has taken so long…but no, the truth is I have just been LAZY!
:slight_smile:

Anyway, I finally was able to drill all the posts and drill/glue them into the base of the bridge. It was a fairly easy task, but was just took more time then I expected. Probably would have been done a lot sooner if I had a drill press, but everything I did I just used my eye and cordless drill… when I drilled the hole for the posts to deep I just filled it back in with some saw dust!
So just got done putting a fresh coat of minwax stain on it and all that is left to do is to run the poly line through all the posts and it will be ready for the season.

Interesting saw horses your using there Vincent, Did they come off your truck?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Interesting saw horses your using there Vincent, Did they come off your truck?

Why yes they did! I take them off in the winter time (just use them for our kayaks in the summer) so I can take the truck through the car wash. :slight_smile:

Multi taksing… :slight_smile:

Car wash??
It’s getting washed now :wink:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Car wash??
It’s getting washed now :wink:

Washed is a understatement,
I am surprised it hasn’t floated away with the 5+ inches of rain and counting!

**Vincent D’Agostino said:**Washed is a understatement,
I am surprised it hasn’t floated away with the 5+ inches of rain and counting!

This will be the start of mud season!