Large Scale Central

Neal's 2020 MIK Build Challenge

Well, this year we are in the process of moving workshop, so don’t have much bench space, etc. So going to pull out a kit I have had on hand for about a year, and make The Peterson Post, a small town newspaper building, circa 1957.

OK, so we have the walls painted and assembled.

PP1

Here’s a detail of one of the windows. I noticed that some of the windows have a small extra bit of brick molding on the inside. I’ll clean those up with a craft knife and pen sander.

PPDetail

At 9 3/4" high (19 1/2’ in 1:24), the building doesn’t look tall enough to me, so I added a concrete block foundation. Also, it wouldn’t be normal for a building from this era to be right at sidewalk level without a step to the entrance.

Or maybe it’s just that I can’t stand to do any kit without messing with it somehow :wink:

PPFoundation

very nice looking brick building Neal

Windows are in. I used glass for the first time ever, as suggested in another forum thread here:

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30134/windows

Also installed the recessed entry, which didn’t fit so I added a couple shims and will need to touch up the paint. And entry steps plus an awning and some period newspaper headlines for the front windows. Almost done!

PP

Neal I like the vintage papers in the window. Nice touch. Nice looking city scape building. Looks like it would fit on main street of Anytown USA. Very Norman Rockewell.

Nicely done, Neal. It does look like a typical 1950’s town building. I should know, I was around then.

OK, We’re almost there.

Here’s the front and left side:

Rear and other side, with roof:

x

To do the MIK chimney, I put a rubber band around the pieces:

And hit the joints with some MEK, and voila:

Oh, this chimney does not bond using MEK! Learn something new everyday. Time for some epoxy. Also got to finish the main Peterson Post sign…but this is PST, so I have 6 hours!

Very nice, Neal. A lot of detail in the architecture.

Thanks, Devon & Lou!

OK, the chimney is ready:

I just cut the sign on my vinyl cutter, but it’s going to have to wait for the morning…never did turn in my homework on time, either.

Dan, just so you know, that is a kit…so the windows and brick molding are provided.

Neal,

The newspapers are the detail that put this over the top. You could just about have had pink mermaids in the upper stories, and I would’ve only seen a small town newspaper!

Eric

I love the tribute to MIK in the brick work. very cool. Oh and resin,a s you figured out, does not weld with MEK. I have found regular old CA works about the best, the gel kind even better.

very nice brick work

OK, we finished it!

Nice job! Love the “random” white bricks on the chimbly.

Eric, it spells MIK side ways

Nice tribute, Neal.

Neal, wonderful brick building and the Mik tribute is over the top, great build