Large Scale Central

Name a fictitious railroad

I have a few old passenger cars laying around with various Colorado road names and different colors.
C & S, DSP&P, D&RGW, etc. LGB, Delton, Hartland.
What if all of these roads merged into one regional RR? Purely for fun and whimsey.
None of the cars will be repainted, nor renamed at first. (Similar to when AMTRAK was created and pulled the “Lifesaver” multicolored and named passenger cars.)

I am going to take an LGB Mogul and use it for this train.

I need a name. You guys post suggestions. I will letter the tender for the one I choose from your input.
Lets have some fun…

1 Like

Possible names, Colorado & Western RR, Colorado & Western Narrow Gauge, Rocky Mountain & Western Narrow Gauge. I like using the name Western in my railroad names, it just defines, and area of mountains are rugged land that fits the NG railroads. With a name something like the above all coaches of different railroads would fit well behind your engine of a different name, but does sound and look like they would be a railroad of the area. My own railroad the Fort Worth & South-Western is a made-up name that does fit in with other Ft. Worth railroads of the 1940’s and 1950’s.

1 Like

might be a DRG&S RR
(denver rio grande and southern)

Comstock & Superstitious . The money rock line

Nice equipment, John! The drover caboose is great!
I have a C&S and D&RGW version to put in this whimsey consist I’m building.

1 Like

Almost fictitious, ‘Penn Central’, 2 years then bankruptcy. That would be very unusual on a Mogul. Same, merger of 3 corporate rivals. The company lasted 6 years until it was sucked up by Amtrak.

Penn Central

John, My favourite LGB consist is my D.S.P.&P… I like the idea that the name indicates the destination. But you have stipulated whimsy, so that’s where I had to google whimsical places in Colorado. Then, of course, I had to think which of these places I’d like to visit, and that would be interesting to model.

Google suggests the following:

1. Bishop Castle (Rye, CO) – A massive, hand-built castle created by one man, Jim Bishop. It’s an eccentric, towering stone structure complete with turrets, bridges, and a fire-breathing dragon sculpture. (I believe you can connect there to Gondor on the G&NB. Check with @Dave_Meashey for time table.)
  2. Casa Bonita (Lakewood, CO) – Recently reopened, this kitschy Mexican restaurant features indoor cliff diving, a haunted cave, puppet shows, and more, making it a beloved quirky attraction.
  3. The Paint Mines Interpretive Park (Calhan, CO) – A lesser-known natural area with vibrant, multicolored clay formations and unique rock structures, hidden within the eastern plains.
  4. The UFO Watchtower (Hooper, CO) – Located in the San Luis Valley, a known UFO hotspot, this watchtower is a quirky destination where people gather to look for extraterrestrial activity. (I think there’s gotta be a connection to @Tim1 Tim’s Nocturn mine, but I can’t remember the name of the railway. Tim?)
  5. The Stanley Hotel (Estes Park, CO) – Famously known as the inspiration for Stephen King’s The Shining, this historic hotel is said to be haunted and offers ghost tours.
  6. Manitou Springs Penny Arcade (Manitou Springs, CO) – A retro arcade filled with hundreds of vintage coin-operated machines, offering a nostalgic gaming experience.
  7. Swetsville Zoo (Timnath, CO) – A whimsical sculpture garden made entirely of scrap metal, featuring dinosaurs, insects, and other creations.
  8. Hanging Lake (Glenwood Springs, CO) – A stunning turquoise lake hanging on the edge of a cliff, fed by a series of delicate waterfalls

My entry is the Denver, Paint Mines Park, & Salida Railroad (D.P.M.P. &S.) based on these photos & Salida meaning exit in Spanish.

Aside: Can I give a special call out to the guys, who I’ve seen on line between 1 and 4 am and who’ve taught me that when you can’t sleep, it’s ok to check in with the cult? I can’t believe that I took on this assignment before sunrise! :yawning_face::shushing_face:

EDIT: Awake now. Man this is wordy. I should remember to only lurk after midnight.

The CIWYW. Call It What You Want. :rofl: you said whimsical and fun :wink:

1 Like

Ado Color,
Was a wealthy man who made his money mining. He kept the RR merger alive with his wealth and being the largest stock holder ( like Warren Buffet BNSF) he decided to keep the equipment just how it was (like Amtrak) and the towns folks called it A Multi Colored Train RR!

Or … " AMCT " R.R

:rooster:

1 Like

Before it moved to Middle Earth, my railroad was named the Geneva and New Bern Railroad. My family name is Swiss, so the area in the Rockies was supposedly settled by a large number of homesick Swiss folks.

Regards, David Meashey

Fubar & Snafu RR ?
SWMBO RR (of course this railroad has no funding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

Now that Rooster mentioned the AMCT Railroad I am wondering…

Did it get re-lettered for the B&G or is there another line that serves Northern Brandywine on a separate G & NB line?

Gold Lust or Bust RR
Which is kinda what happened in some cases…
:smiley:GLOB RR.

Bill;

The Brandywine is a river along the eastern border of the Shire. Tookland (the Tooks) and the Brandybucks have settled along the eastern side of that river, so I suppose there could be a North Brandywine branch line. I haven’t included it in my own imaginary rail line, though.

Regards, David Meashey