Large Scale Central

N.B.R.R v4.0

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G4gnJQXbmRI[/youtube]

Cale,

That type of video is good for track inspection, if you’re still on the track it must be OK.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Cale,

That type of video is good for track inspection, if you’re still on the track it must be OK.

Right at the end there is an Oops!

can’t wait to show you the other direction where the bridge clearance is a little less than it needed to be :slight_smile:

and HJ your spot on, it makes it easy to see where the problems are (um, most everywhere!)

Cale Nelson said:

it makes it easy to see where the problems are (um, most everywhere!)

This is why layouts are never finished!
Always tweaking track!

Looks like the WInter Project will consist of diverting water off of the layout :slight_smile:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-03TtQl5Qbu0/VHXnv-B_BcI/AAAAAAAAAig/FD-xw5fuUHc/w366-h274-no/IMG_20141126_094533_455.jpg

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-03TtQl5Qbu0/VHXnv-B_BcI/AAAAAAAAAig/FD-xw5fuUHc/w366-h274-no/IMG_20141126_094533_455.jpg)

Cale Nelson said:
Looks like the WInter Project will consist of diverting water off of the layout :slight_smile:

Cale
I did the same thing … nothing …until it rained Then I could see the problem areas!
Do some quick fixes/drains and if that works your could dress them up later knowing it works!
Layout looks great even with the h2o.

Great layout Cale, Like the height of it.

had a night full of rain, the good news: the passing siding (under water in the photo above) is now sitting in the dry. I guess the massive amount of rock installed below the topsoil really allowed it to drain into the buried corrugated pipe fast! (whew) .

The other areas in the layout still have some standing water-and believe some dry washes would add character and allow some run-off as well!

Sean/Ron, Thanks…Still pretty tickled with it- I’m adding a few trees every week or so to get some green!..and planning an expansion to use up more of this pile o’ track I’m having to walk around :slight_smile:

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Iu3CPjsq0A8/VHX-Sy8UTBI/AAAAAAAAAi0/TAv--DrfX_c/w366-h274-no/IMG_20141126_111230_685.jpg)

Spring Sprung sooner than I’d like (it only means Summer is on it’s merry way (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

I had been pondering what I’d do for ground cover on the RR of late. I then read here (Ron T) and somewhere else about using Landscape Cloth and Mulch. Sounded good to me-almost instant ground cover and minimal weeds!

I snagged a few bags of Cypress mulch and a 50’ roll (mistakenly, I meant to buy the 100’ roll) 15 year Landscape cloth. The boys and I finished up school early and got a little bit completed.

The following day, after school we got back to it. With another load of Cypress Mulch and the 100’ roll of cloth

We didn’t re-balast yet, and left the areas between the sidings open for ballast

We also added two flats of Thyme and a few Irish Moss to enhance the green.

I had initially trenched and ballasted the roadbed, so maybe that will help with any potential drainage issues. All the ballast from Oct was pretty much gone, so a I was going to have to re-do that anyways.

I X-cut the cloth where I wanted to insert a plant and dug it in there. As finances allow I’ll come back with some more ground-covers and mini trees.

The track-work is horrible right now, but the LGB/HLW lokes chuff along with no problem…whilst Thomas watches from a siding. I am hoping to enjoy the RR this year like never before. Especially if the Weed Block cloth does it’s thing!

Looks good, Cale…

My only problem with mulch is, that it floats… You get it where you want, and then a rain strom comes along, and it’s all moved everywhere…

Andy Clarke said:

Looks good, Cale…

My only problem with mulch is, that it floats… You get it where you want, and then a rain strom comes along, and it’s all moved everywhere…

I’ve had similar “floating mulch” problems with my last railroad incarnation. Mostly on hill sides and such. The mulch would float around after a good rain and end up getting the track and ballast all fowled up. In my current RR redo, I’m going to be a bit more careful with mulch placement. Just some thoughts. BTW- looks like things are coming along nicely, Cale. I wish we had better spring weather here in Buffalo.

-Kevin.

Thanks.

Yep, No real good/perfect solutions with the high humidity and imported soil (bed of weeds). Ideally, this will be a year or two fix until I can get plants propagating. I also plan for some Hardscape (rock/stone) Mulch. Time and $'s will tell! Least the weeds are covered, many before they start!

Looking really good Cale, Adding ballast should raise your track height some and help even more to keep it out of the water. The greenery is really starting to liven it up.

Looks good Cale. I really liked the landscape cloth idea but my biggest concern was getting plants to really spread. I like the how the mulch spruces thimgs up but was afraid of the floating issue. My other option was putting soil ontop but then I would have the week problems. I had good luck with my last layout by using lots of ground cover to choke out the weeds. I found Phlox and sedumes worked best.

Cale , You done good, Its worked great for me over the years. I have no problem with spreading plants such as seedum or phlox. Your on the right path. Keep the updates coming. In-fact go to Linville jct on youtube and check out my layout. Plenty of plants no weeds. got better things to do. Run trains and have fun!

Well, the Mulch did Float after a downpour…and the Water Stood right where it always did…Until Now!

Actually until about a month or so ago…I meant to already had these posted.

We pulled up the passing siding where all the water and much went in the Tempest.

We (I) dug straight down to the rocks/Drain Pipe

We then filled the Holes with Gravel, and tamped.

Then we covered it with a layer of gravel/stone

and re-laid track

re-ballasted

I’ll get back out there later near the fall…101 here today—ain’t happening!

Looking good Cale. The boys look like their getting older and bigger. I hope you’re all having fun with the railroad.

Chuck

Cale

Layout looks Great!

It’s good to have all that help!

Now the boys will be able to start laying track for you, with all that they have learned.

I also wait for heavy rain to see were water collects.

Good job on the drainage fix!!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Sean