Large Scale Central

My New Toy ..... ummm.... Tool

My new toy arrived today … hmmmm … that’s odd … today happens to be my Birthday :grin: Mama planned that well. Anyway, here it is.

My new laser. Unfortunately, I can’t open it until this weekend because it’s technically from my son, he just doesn’t know it yet. Ya gotta know how to play the game :grin:

We’ll have the unboxing in a couple days, stay tuned.

BTW: @Cliff_Jennings This is all your fault or at least that’s what Mama thinks :stuck_out_tongue: Not sure how she got that idea but that’s what she said :smiley: I’ll be expecting some laser classes from you, lol :grin:

X-men,
May I sign up for the X-tool Master-Class too?

Nice, Dan. The S1 is on my list of “Some day” tools.

Bob, I’ve been toying with the idea of either a larger FDM 3D printer or a laser. The laser won out primarily because I don’t have one and I really haven’t been limited by my current Prusa 3D printer. I’ve learned to either limit the size of projects that print or break them up into smaller jobs that fit on the printer. Part of the challenge of design is figuring out how to divide the object in such a way I can print it in pieces and then put it back together. The design process is what I enjoy most.

Yea. ELEGOO is bringing out an 800x800x1000 FDM printer, and I ALMOST pulled the trigger on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elegooofficial/elegoo-orangestorm-giga-gigantic-volume-fast-fdm-3d-printer

But I think a laser would serve me better, considering I already have 4 3d printers…

Wow, you are going to need a bigger shop just to house all the 3D production equipment :smiley:

1 Like

Yea, I need to reorganize my non-mess-making shop space where my printers and electronics work happens. I need about six more feet of desk space.

Well, here is the new toy an XTool S1 40 watt diode laser.

Here it is in action making a material test card. The material is 3mm basswood and you can see I’ve already done some cutting with it.

It comes with air assist and fire detection. The fire detection claims it can extinguish small fires. It has 4 CO2 cartridges. Let’s hope we don’t need that particular accessory :grimacing: I also purchased an air purifier that exhausts the air through several different filters including activated carbon. It does an ok job, but before I begin using it for anything other than testing it on wood, I will vent it outside.

More to come …

I agree, go in the laser direction, you’ll be wondering why you hadn’t before, haha! :grin:

Subtractive “making” is awesome… Laser, CNC cutter…

FWIW my Chinese 60w has been working fine for some years now, you may want to check them out on ebay.

Very impressive specs and features, Dan.

I’m old school I guess, 5+ years ago… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My machine has a flow sensor on the cooling loop. And one time, a couple years ago, a joint from a rubber tube to a glass port on the laser tube failed. Alarm, squirting water, and small fire (wasn’t that a rock group some time ago?) took place. I was there, and resolved all quickly. But the lesson was clear: this laser stuff needs to be taken seriously. I park my computer and butt beside (or near) the machine while it’s operating.

And I’m pleased that yours has those safety features!

Thanks, Cliff. I hope the safety features are never called into duty. I want a CO2 laser similar to yours, but I just don’t have the room (hence the new shop :wink:) and decided to start with a diode laser to get my feet wet and start learning. I have a feeling the learning curve is going to be a little steeper than on the 3D printer.