Large Scale Central

My large scale RGS 41

Here are some pictures of my Fn3 model of RGS 41. It has taken me five years(would have been less if i had kept at it) but its finally finished.

Those of you who attended the NNG convention might have seen my model in the contest room. I won second place at the show.
It started as an Accucraft brass model of 41, from there I completely rebuilt and detailed it. New cab sides, tender sides, scratch built head light, modified K-27 snow plow, custom decals, real coal from Vance junction and Rico, complete cab interior,battery conversion and sound system install, and more.

Wow! Nice!!

Beautifully done!!

Cool! I love how a little sprinkling of coal dust really brings a steam loco to life in this scale. And congrats on the 2nd place!

Later,

K

Great looking loco. Nice job.

I’m pretty sure I voted for that! 2nd? what got first?

There were some great models in there, sadly due to my car problems I never did find out the final results, even though I had 2 things entered.

Jeff, any ideas how to find out the final results for the rest ?

NEVERMIND Found it

http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8695&start=40

half way down, good thread on the show, worth looking at from the beginning

Thanks for the Kind words fellas. 2nd place is just fine, I’m more pleased to have it done.

Kevin I love the coal dust on your locos so I was inspired by you to dust mine. I went a little heavier than I wanted but that’s ok.

Thank you to those that voted for me as well.

Very nice Jeff, thanks for sharing. I need to put that big headlight on mine. can you share some dims or a drawing? you have probally seen my version of #40 on this site. thinking of getting another(Bachmann) so they will both play well together doubleheading and sell off the accucraft one.

Another second place winner

Al P.

Beautiful work! Congrats on your win.

Vic Smith said:

I’m pretty sure I voted for that! 2nd? what got first?

“I don’t know.”

“Third base!”

:slight_smile:

Beautiful!

And I don’t even like steam engines (well maybe a little)

Congrats on the win…

Al I have seen your 40 and 41 here before. I also have a Bachmann 40. If you converted your to battery you could probably run them together more easily. Plus if you bought another Bachmann C-19 you would have the wrong tender for 41.

Now to the head light. That was one of my favorite things i had to scratch build. i made it out of a slice of PVC conduit. Its 1-1/16" OD, witch turns out to be 21 scale inches, 1 inch larger than the real head light. The number boards are off of the original Accucraft head light but i carefully cut then in half and removed some material to shorten the length of them. I made the shade from sheet styrene, there is also some flat trim around the from and a strip of half round. Glued to the front is a piece of brass that I rolled into a circle and soldered together. The reflector is a stock mini mag light reflector witch fits perfectly inside the conduit. Oddly the mag light reflector is exactly the same scale dimensions as 41s real reflector, both the diameter and depth. Thank you mag light. I also used the Mag light lens. Once assembled the light has two holes drilled into the bottom and mounts to the stock accucraft bracket with the stock screws.

Here is a photo of it nearly finished.

(http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/jeffsparrow/lil4114-1.jpg)

Now if you have a 1:20.3 scale ruler you can use these specs for the real light to build your own. 41s headlight is the same size and type that 346 has currently, as well as other locos through out the years.

(http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/jeffsparrow/41headlight.jpg)

Abosolutely beautiful. Now excuse me while I throw myself on my X-Acto knife.

Great looking model. Love the detail on the headlight! Congratulations on second place - lots of nice models in that contest!

Thanks for that link, Vic, and congratulations on your model as well.

Thanks Bruce but when you only have 3 entries and get 3rd by default it sort of like still getting a trophy even after your team lost every game LOL.

I didnt even know that till I read the link myself. My car troubles made me blow in and out getting my stuff home I never bothered to check the results, oh well next time.

Jeff, what did you paint your loco and tender with–airbrush or rattle can? If you say the latter, I will truly throw myself off the curb and into the rain gutter. The paint job is superb as are myriad other details.