Large Scale Central

My F-3 re-build project

Mike, there are scented oils too, I forgot who makes them… let me see…

Found it, mega steam:

http://megasteam.com/page2.html

A ton of different scents…

Greg

I just burned through the 2 oz that came with the smoke unit so I ordered a 8 oz bottle of non scented fluid and a 8 oz bottle of popcorn scented smoke fluid. Looking forward to smelling that one.

Well, Dave Bodner used chocolate scented smoke fluid in his factory, and it smelled really good for the first few part of the train show. By the end of the day, the smell was making me nauseous.

Incredible smoke fluid … http://megasteam.com/page2.html … Great smoke !

I have the vanilla to please the family. They like it. We got the campfire scent and it stays outside only!

The chassis is done now . Its got body mounted Kadee 830 couplers on it and I got all the electronics soldered together and it worked !!! For me that’s a relief . It has a master on/off switch and some battery charging posts on the fuel tank and a wireless remote receiver on/off switch . That’s the little black box on the right side of the chassis . The little on/off clicker transmitter is in front. The blue silicone tube directs some smoke under the locomotive. I also started on the body shell last night. I am doing a few mod’s to it like getting rid of the portholes on the car sides etc. Its a work in progress.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I have seen that before. The portholes plated over on F units. I would think that would make the dark and cramped engine room even more dark and cramped.

David Maynard said:

I have seen that before. The portholes plated over on F units. I would think that would make the dark and cramped engine room even more dark and cramped.

But one less target for kids and Rocks!

OK Mike …how do you plan on mimicking the flames shooting out the stack from the overly rich mixture?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

A company named Lemax makes Christmas decorations for little villages and they offer a campfire that lights up . I think if I can modify it so you just see the tip and then motorize it to raise and lower in the stack randomly that would create the fire effect. However I think i’ll leave that up to someone better than me to give it a try first. The way this thing smokes I don’t think you would see the fire.

Looking forwards to seeing more of it!

Greg

I have some Lemax stuff and it is neat but not as neat as your stuff!

Build ON!

After some experimentation I decided to go with the hairspray technique . I have a lot more control over where and how much paint chipping I want . The salt works good too but its more hit or miss to me. The first thing to do is wash and dry the model and then spray on the rust colors. My base coat was Badger rust mixed with a drop of gloss black . I used a bunch of different rusty color shades randomly applied everywhere. When I was happy with the rust I sealed the rust with Krylon crystal clear. I used the gloss clear because it darkens the color even more. After the Krylon dried I airbrushed liquid hairspray over the whole model. First color over the rust and hairspray was G.N. big sky blue (former owner). I’m hoping to fade the final green top color to expose some of the blue using a q tip. Before I applied each successive color I sprayed a coat of hairspray . Anyway its painted so i’ll give it a day to cure and then the fun will begin chipping the paint.

This is the area where the smoke stacks come through the top. I had to drill two 1/2 " holes where the original stacks were. A little filing of the fans was necessary to make it work.

Love it !

mike dorsch said:

After some experimentation I decided to go with the hairspray technique . I have a lot more control over where and how much paint chipping I want . The salt works good too but its more hit or miss to me. The first thing to do is wash and dry the model and then spray on the rust colors. My base coat was Badger rust mixed with a drop of gloss black . I used a bunch of different rusty color shades randomly applied everywhere. When I was happy with the rust I sealed the rust with Krylon crystal clear. I used the gloss clear because it darkens the color even more. After the Krylon dried I airbrushed liquid hairspray over the whole model. First color over the rust and hairspray was G.N. big sky blue (former owner). I’m hoping to fade the final green top color to expose some of the blue using a q tip. Before I applied each successive color I sprayed a coat of hairspray . Anyway its painted so i’ll give it a day to cure and then the fun will begin chipping the paint.

I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but have you tried multilayer chipping before? First with chipping you need to chip sooner than later. I typically chip the paint away within an hour or less of painting. When you wait for the paint to cure 24 hours it becomes harder to control the chipping (or at least that’s what I’ve found). Secondly when you try to multilayer chip without sealing each coat than all what happens is you end up back at the base layer.

This is a good step by step of multi layer chipping.

I think you have the right idea and I understand what your trying to do, but I think you might be disappointed with the results. But since you have experimented already with chipping and salt maybe you know all of this information already.

If this was me (and I’m going to try something similar with my snow plow) I would do this.

1. Base rust

2. Hairspray

3. 1st Paint layer

4. Chip heavy

5. Seal

6. Hairspray

7. 2nd Paint Layer

8. Chip light or heavy

9. Seal

10. Hairspray

11 3rd paint layer

1. Chip

2. Seal

3. Any other weathering methods

4. Seal

FWIW…

I am learning that your right about the chipping process Craig . The yellow isn’t coming off very easy. I’ve been wet sanding some of the panels with 600 wet dry and i’ve been making progress. I can see that i’ll still have to do additional weathering with chalks and alcohol.

That’s cool Mike. Looks like a good technique for beating up some yard units.

Shane

Its a work in progress .