Large Scale Central

Multi Meters?

I have a Craftmans multi meter that I have been using for over 15 years and now it is acting up. Testing volts is fine but when I switch to the OHMs or resistance settings the digital display jumps all over the place and won’t hold a number. The other day I had a bum coil pack on my truck and by chance had pulled the bad one and 2 good ones but my meter was useless in testing them. I later brought the truck to a auto parts store and their code reader found the bad pack.

I don’t know what is wrong with my meter and I need a new one. What type would you guys recommend keeping in mind that I would be using it on trains, cars, boats, batteries and house.

There are so many different types with a few functions to a dozen and the prices from $20- to well over $100. Which is the best bang for up to $100.

Thanks

Before you buy a new unit, did you put new batteries in the meter? I know that may be dumb question but the batteries go out in my meters and I have to replace them.

Paul

I agree to check the batteries as well. As for meters I buy nothing but Fluke and it sounds like you need a cheap OBDII code reader as well. Besides I stopped ohming out them anyway as the results were usually inconsistent and the code reader tells you what the ECM is seeing anyway.

That’s going to be tough for Todd to test the batteries, as his meter is acting up! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

For work I use the el cheepo Harbor freight jobbie. Its like $2 to $4, and it reads volts (AC and DC) and ohms. And when I fry it, its no great loss. No, its not quality, but it does the job I need it to do.

Good one Sean. I did test the batteries tonight and put in 2 fresh ones but the problem persists.

This meter also has 2 fuses but checking them without a meter is tough.

Highly likely to be the actual test leads.

I opened the packaging of 2 x of a popular MM here in Australia and both had one faulty meter lead.

I’m thinking that the sliders on the switch have worn/corroded a bit and this is what’s affecting your readings. The ohmmeters use very precision resistors and some corrosion/wear creating a resistance point could throw things off.

Maybe you could try come contact spray.

Yea Greg, that’s the one. For simple volt and ohm readings it works just fine. And being that its a Harbor Freight special, its inexpensive (cheap) and so when it gets broken, its not a major loss.

On my workbench, I have a Beckman meter, that sort of followed me home from work one day, many years ago. But that one doesn’t leave my workbench. For field work, where damage and/or loss is possible, I use the Harbor Freight one.

I can not disagree with Rooster on the choice of Fluke, I loved mine until I left it out side all winter. I replaced it with a cheaper one $40.00 ish from the auto parts store and I have to say it works just as well for what I use it for with is volts (DC and AC) and Ohms. I never have used either for amps. i don’t know the brand name because I can’t find it, I hope I didn’t leave it outside for winter again!!

Todd… A dumb question… Did you change the batteries on the craftsman? Perhaps the poor readings are just a symptom of nearly dead batteries.

Dog gonit I should have read all the replies… Sounds like you tried that and a new one is in order. As said before Fluke is a good name from way back… Hope they haven’t been cheaped out!

From someone that has been an electronics technician for 40 years and calibrated test equipment for 30+ years, Fluke makes the best multimeters in the industry. There are many excellent Fluke DMMs available for under $100. If you want a cheap (less reliable) meter, there are plenty of those; but remember you usually get what you pay for.

My vote is for Fluke as well, used one for over 20 years in my work, even dropped it from a man lift a couple times, case was beat to hell but it kept on ticking. Some may think that it’s over kill for hobby uses, I had one from Rat Shack that I used at home for years and hated it, never felt I could trust the readings. So as soon as I could afford it I tossed it and got a Fluke for home.

On this subject how does one measure amps on our locomotives under various loads? The only time I have used a multi meter for amps was on large line shaft motors. We used a loop clamp device and placed them around each wire. Do I need special leads or what?

Devon, the meter goes in series in the circuit. Between the power source and the load (motor). you don’t really need special leads, but clip leads would help.

For track powered locomotives just plug the standard multi-meter probes into the Ammeter jacks, then put in series with one leg of your power supply. For battery power the meter would need to ride along and be placed in series with one battery lead. The second case is a good application for that $5 Harbor Freight meter so when it gets tangled up on something and dragged along the track you won’t be crying (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I was in Sears a few days ago and they have a pretty decent looking DMM on sale for $20. It’s no Fluke, but I’m sure it will do the job so long as super accuracy / durability s not required.

I have owned and used the same Fluke since 1992.

Santa brought me a new Craftsman multi meter. He figured the last one lasted me over 15 years so if I can get the same life from this one it is a good deal for the money.

The Fluke was a bit more than Santa could afford.

Thanks all

After the bad leads on 2 x popular meters I listed above I bought a $10 jobby post paid from China. Does what I want and the leads are better quality.

I had been using an auto ranging Sanwa for over 20 years. Bought it for around US$20 when I was once in Hong Kong way before the Chinese got it back. HK that is -:wink: