Large Scale Central

More Bridge questions: Walkway paint/treatment

So, as the wood deck for the “high bridge” takes shape, I’m wondering… railroads typically did NOT paint the walkways on top of boxcars, etc, so that they wouldn’t be slippery in bad weather. I can’t imagine that applying creosote to the walking planks, railing posts, and railings of a bridge wouldn’t result in a slippery surface (and burns from the creosote on the railing surfaces!)

So, how did the “real” guys treat the wood on their bridges that was part of the decks and railings? Obviously the ties, stringers, etc. can be creosoted like anything else … but was it done differently for the “people” surfaces?

Matthew (OV)

Bringing this back up again …

Oh … folks using scale lumber … what kind of pins or nails does one use for scale 2x4’s etc?

I would asy a scale 16 penny framing nail.

Paul

pins if short enough will work. Short of mechanical fasteners of the right size, use a fine point to punch a hole in the wood to simulate a nail in the wood.

pins are nominal 23 gauge wire, you could cut your own from a finer gauge if you’ld like.

For trestles, I generally use 1/2 inch stock for the bents. That means that I can use a 23 gauge pin that is 3/4 inch long as the mechanical fastener.

If you go with stock that is just a “smidge” over 1/2 inch, you could probably get away with using 1 inch pins, depending on the pressure you used to blast them in with.

Cut some stock of various thickness and see what you like. Try the over sized stuff and see it you can get away with using a 1 inch pin. You might surprise yourself. I sure did.

Currently, I’m using 18 g brads because I can’t find my 23 g pinner. I think it got put some place safe, where I wouldn’t forget it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sigh.

The 18 g brad gun works fine, so far.

Ditto with Steves use. I use the 1/2" 23g pins for the diag. bracing (Titebond III Glue of course), my cross braces are 1/8" by 7/16" (actual) scale to 3x10s rough-cut. the tops and bottoms are 5/8 x 3/4 scale to 14"x18" I pin the tops and bottoms with 1/1/2" 18g pins, plus glue. I use old Cedar fence boards, I have collected over the years. They will weather to a nice gray in short order. The 23g pins will rust in short order giving a nice stain and looking like rusted nail heads. BTW: use the number of pins per board as if they were nails in the real thing, i.e.: two in the ends of smaller boards, and 3 or more in wider boards. All the wooden bridges that I have walked on never had any coating on the walk ways, no paint, no creosote, just raw wood.

(http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/dave2-8-0/NMNRR-036.jpg)

(http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/dave2-8-0/BRG-13.jpg)

(http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/dave2-8-0/BRG-23.jpg)

Dave Taylor said:
All the wooden bridges that I have walked on never had any coating on the walk ways, no paint, no creosote, just raw wood.
I agree with Dave 100%................ Except I have seen them covered with ice, but that doesn't count.