Large Scale Central

More Bonsai

I had not trimmed these in over a year. Were back to bushes, could not see the trunks, much less any limbs.

Well they look good trimmed up. Look nice and fit in. Later RJD

Jerry, they sure do look good… :slight_smile:

Thanks Andy,
You coming up to Marty’s again? Be nice to see you. I might not get there till Saturday though.

jerry

Jerry, not sure If I’ll make this year… My son is graduating ““Military Language”” school, out in Calif on 16 Sept… Wife & I are considering heading out there for the graduation…

Looks great Jerry. I just trimmed all of mine for the first time in over a year. I’m not happy with my Boxwood trees. They don’t look anywhere near as good as yours, except for one that’s been in the ground for many years, pre-dating the railroad. I have some Arborvitae that looks great trimmed up from a distance, and the Dwarf Alberta Spruce come back to looking like trees with a major thinning. Maybe I’ll post some shots in this thread on the weekend.

Thanks Guys!
I see your point Andy, must be proud of him, that’s a great school.
Jon, I have some Arbovitae’s also and keep them pruned, they grow pretty fast. I have cut back Alberta spruces and Junipers but you have to keep after them. Waiting till this fall to do the Junipers(wife’s advice!).

(http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/JerryBarnes/Trees/FarmBons1.JPG)

Jerry, That a store bought structure?

Jerry,
Nice job on the trees. You’ve captured the miniture tree look.
I need to prune mine soon.
Ralph

David,
That is one of the Railroad Avenue buildings(no longer made, I don’t think) I got from a guy near here that had his railroad hailed pretty bad and he threw in the towel. Had to repair some quite a bit, mostly his bad glue jobs and repair a LOT of windows. Still got a couple of buildings with big hail holes in the roofs.

Thanks Ralph, I keep trying!

Jerry and all… Here are some shots of trees on my railroad that I trimmed a few weeks ago. First up is a group of three in order of my preference; Arborvitae on the left, Dwarf Alberta Spruce in the middle and a Boxwood on the right…

Another group with 2 Arborvitaes, a Dwarf Alberta Spruce and a Boxwood…

A close up of my tallest Arborvitae…

Here is a group of three Boxwood trees with an Arborvitae in the middle. I’m really not happy with how this group looks, the Boxwood trees are way to spindly…

A close up of another Arborvitae. This is how I wish all my trees looked…

And yet another Arborvitae…

Another angle with a few of of the Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees on the right…

Feel free to make suggestions on how I could make them look better.

WOW Jon, that is nice work. THose Arbovitae look real nice. I’ve got some Junipers coming up wild in the railroad, may try to work with some of them as they grow. You done anything with them?

No. Haven’t played with them. I have some kind of conifer growing wild too. Probably Spruce since there are a lot of them around. I have 3 that are three seasons old, two that are about a season old and lots of sprouts from this year. I’ll start trimming them in their 4th season. One I need to try and transplant.

Okay, we have Blue Spruces also, so not sure what I have growing. We have cedars/junipers/blue spruces in our windbreak. An old tale out here is about a guy asking how to get rid of cedars in his pasture, he was told to put into the windbreak, it would die for sure there!

Very tough to ID them when they are sprouts. My oldest ones are about 8" tall and have several spindly arms. I’ll try and get a pic.

The Botanical had a Bonsai show. I got to watch a lady turning a cheap juniper into a grove of little trees. She called it a “Rack.” Pretty interesting. Then I got to talk to a guy who had the most beautiful little arbor vitae grove growing on this big piece of volcanic rock. He says he’s killed a few plants learning to do that. He suggested I try a cheap Ficus as I could keep it inside during the winter.

I think the idea of pruning the roots and putting it in the little Bonsai bowl is to keep it from growing bigger than you want it. They say to keep it in a regular pot until it reaches the trunk diameter you like, and keep it from growing taller or bigger than you want by nipping any buds off.

Tom Ruby said:
I think the idea of pruning the roots and putting it in the little Bonsai bowl is to keep it from growing bigger than you want it. They say to keep it in a regular pot until it reaches the trunk diameter you like, and keep it from growing taller or bigger than you want by nipping any buds off.
That's the main idea all right, but it's a bit short if you want to keep your nanified trees in good health. For example, if you prune all the buds on deciduous trees or junipers, they will respond quite well IF the species allows for heavy pruning (like in hedges) but if you apply the same technique on conifers, you'll more than likely kill them in no time.

I’ve been involved in bonsai for more than 15 years, starting from several types of plants such as container stock, trees from the wild, imported bonsai from Japan, even from seed. To keep them in good shape over the years, switching between regular bonsai pots and large growing containes (be it wooden crates, large ceramic pots or even in full ground) is mandatory. Generally, I work on a 4-8 year cycle according the needs of each tree.

For those interested in more details, I have put quite a lot of tips on my website www.bonsai-in-belgium.net Follow the “Evolution” and “Techniques” sections.

Thanks, Frans.
Very informative web-site you have on Bonsai. I’ve bookmarked it for future reference.
Ralph

Home Depot had a 50% sale on plants this weekend. Picked up 6 more 1 Gal. Arborvitae for $3.45 each and have them all trimmed up. I plan to plant the around the top of the tunnel opening in a week or so.

Finally got a picture of the new Arborvitaes in place…