Large Scale Central

MoLoCo "Buffalo Shay"

In the latest NG&SLG is an advert for a “Buffalo Shay” from Missouri Locomotive Works in F scale (1:20.3.) This is the cutest little 3-truck shay you can imagine. Only 2 cylinders - apparently Lima only made 2 of them. No pic on their website yet, but I found this online:

Shaylocomotives.com says of Shop Number 119: “Carter Caves & Olive Hill RR #119 “BUFFALO”, Carter Caves, KY”. Hence the Buffalo Shay, I guess.

Edit: I googled Carter Caves & Olive Hill RR and found the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Carter-Caves-Olive-Railroad-1884/dp/1931672350

Anyone know anything else about it? I want one!

Right up my alley; as soon as one of those instant tickets hist for $5K or so (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I like it different is good. It looks like a T boiler.

Not the usual design, one large tank instead of two and the hinged part of frame is over the middle truck. That’s a complicated place…

Considering that their 0-4-0s are $900, I’ll fall into that if you have to ask category; no afford.

John

Photo in the latest NGSLG (advert) .

The pilot model is back for alterations.

Price not fixed yet

Very nice looking prototype. I like how big the wheels look compared with the boiler. Looks almost like a traditional loco was set on shay running gear. Not knowing anything about prior work from Missouri Locomotive works, would this be a live steam model or electric?

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Very nice looking prototype. I like how big the wheels look compared with the boiler. Looks almost like a traditional loco was set on shay running gear. Not knowing anything about prior work from Missouri Locomotive works, would this be a live steam model or electric?

To date, all the MoLoCo items have been electric, and that’s what the ad says this one will be. [So how are you going to justify running that little thing on your EBT layout?!?]

Pete Thornton said:

[So how are you going to justify running that little thing on your EBT layout?!?]

Good question, but does everything really need justification? However if we must, it will be one of the McKelvey locos on the Booher branch. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)I’m not really thinking seriously about purchase one but it sure is neat. My next loco pursuit would probably be EBT #11 but that’s a ways off yet.

I was wondering how long before someone did a model of it! :smiley: Definitely a unique design with a shared bunker and t-boiler, 2 cylinder design. I kicked around building it when I built my 10 ton contractors shay years back, but it got buried in the ongrowing list hahaha I look forward to seeing the prototype model listed

I heard back from MoLoCo. Here’s the gist of the message.

The pilot model pictured in the Gazette advertisement is
having the revisions made to it. As soon as those are completed,
scheduled for end of this month, we will get the model
back for final approval, final pricing, and beginning of production.
We are estimating, and it is only a wild guess, that the production
models will be available sometime middle of first quarter next year.

Randy, be careful. I started out with the P&CS, they only had 9 locomotives in their entire history. I now have over 30 locomotives, and some of them are, (gasp) Diesel-electrics.