Large Scale Central

Modern Track

Does any company make modern track sections with cement ties? I haven’t seen any in G gage, but then again, I haven’t researched this as thoroughly as some do. If anyone knows of a company, please don’t keep it to yourself. The thought of a modern track laced layout is very stimulating too me. LOL

Nope. It’s either spike and tie plate detail or the LGB/USA/Aristo European bolthead.

Stacy,

Check this http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/gleissystem/gleiszubehoer/50-fertigschwellen-meterspur-beton-45mm.html

Intended for Meter gauge (NG), but unfortunately not with the Pandrol rail clamps, which are quite common on the modern NG lines.

Suitable for Code 332 rail which is quite a bit heavier than the heavy main line rail.

Another source for something similar.

http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/bprotiebtrade-concrete-grey-p-1079.html

Craig Townsend said:

Nope. It’s either spike and tie plate detail or the LGB/USA/Aristo European bolthead.

Yea, that is what I hear around the proverbial rumor mill. LOL

You’d think someone/company would figure out a way to construct and produce modern track. Kind of sad to run a modern eco friendly late 90’s loco BNSF lash up on wooden ties. Looks downright silly. Especially when trying to replicate as near to real as possible. Oh well, I am in the gathering stages to construct this desert BNSF railroad outdoors. Perhaps someone will make the track. If not, I’ll give it a try…LOL

Stacy

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Stacy,

Check this http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/gleissystem/gleiszubehoer/50-fertigschwellen-meterspur-beton-45mm.html

Intended for Meter gauge (NG), but unfortunately not with the Pandrol rail clamps, which are quite common on the modern NG lines.

Suitable for Code 332 rail which is quite a bit heavier than the heavy main line rail.

Thank you Hans. I will check it out and I will get back to you about what I see. Funny how track seems to be the one thing most companies making model railroad products seem to neglect. Just my opinion though. Actually, this came to me last year when I ran some of my modern eco friendly Dash9’s on Aristo-Craft track. The engines looked okay and all, but something was missing and then I watched a video of a BNSF moving some inter M out of LA. The track was modern and yes they utilize cement reinforced ties. When I saw that video, I thought ummmmm, maybe someone makes this track in G gage.

Anyway, thanks and I will check out the site address.

Stacy

Train-Li is certainly proud of their “cement” ties, aren’t they.

At that price, I think that I would just paint the plastic “wood” ties grey and be done with it. Once it is in the ballast, it should pass the 10 ft rule.

Steve Featherkile said:

Train-Li is certainly proud of their “cement” ties, aren’t they.

At that price, I think that I would just paint the plastic “wood” ties grey and be done with it. Once it is in the ballast, it should pass the 10 ft rule.

LOL

I must confess all the track available right now almost seems toy like. I mean, this is supposed to be hobby grade. LGB is okay for my Euro railroad, but the BNSF requires cement ties. Glad I am only getting it all together now. LOL

Train-Li LOL LOL

Stacy Krausmann said

I must confess all the track available right now almost seems toy like. I mean, this is supposed to be hobby grade. LGB is okay for my Euro railroad, but the BNSF requires cement ties. Glad I am only getting it all together now. LOL

Train-Li LOL LOL

Actually BNSF has a lot of wood ties still left. Wood is better than concrete in many ways. When you derail a car and drag a wheel a few miles and it chews up the ties… The concrete ties have to be thrown out, where as the wood ties can be reused.

Check out llagas creek or sunset valley track. Pretty decent looking track if you get code 215 or code 250 rail.

Train-Li’s Concrete ties are About $1 per foot, Right in line with Aristo’s ties for their flex track. Seems like a fair price to me.

Dave Taylor said:

Train-Li’s Concrete ties are About $1 per foot, Right in line with Aristo’s ties for their flex track. Seems like a fair price to me.

I stand sit corrected. I misread their ad.

Wood ties are okay by me, but in reality, as far as creating the modern Inter M type eco friendly diesel engine rattlers I saw in the desert, I want the cement ties if I can locate a company that can produce them. If not, I’ll make do with regular track done really nice with ballast. Personally, I think its only a matter of time before a company says, we need to evolve and create modern track that looks good and makes the trains look even that much more authentic.

Stacy

I’d advise you to look at code 250 size track. The trains look a lot better on it and it is cheaper than the larger code 332 of Aristo/USA/LGB. At least buy a piece, set your locomotive on each and see what you think. Easy decision for me.

Hello Jerry and thanks for the tip. I realize, in reality, I might be a bit naïve about track sometimes even too judgmental. I hope I don’t sound like a whiner. LOL Anyway, I’ll look into that and thanks.

Stacy

There used to be a producer for track with concrete ties in Germany - discontinued due to lack of demand.

Apart from that, just like I suspected, concrete ties with Pandrol rail fastening hardware won’t be sturdy enough if done in plastic (the hardware!) and too expensive if done in metal.

BTW as far as production is concerned that shouldn’t be a problem, you finance the development of the injection mould, request a large enough order of tie strips and they will do it for you.

You could also design tie strips to be 3D-printed as test pieces to find out just how much structural stability - in model railroading aka as oversize - it will take in plastic

As far as the proto, up here in the Great White North, is concerned, the jury is still out on the concrete ties. Based on what has been in use i.e. what used to be produced in the past was not the cat’s meow. There was an article in TRAINS on the subject.

AND well shaped, properly maintained track with plenty of fresh ballast, heavy duty rail and heavy wood ties looks just as good as concrete. Of course that’s just my opinion.

http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/media/images/5507-betonschwellen_big.jpg

This track looks great!

PS if you need a drawing and specs to design the item have a look at this http://www.railone.com/en/main-nav/products/freight-and-heavy-haul-rail-transport/usa.html

Thanks Hans. I agree that wooden ties can look absolutely fantastic and I respect your opinions. I saw that picture and thought, now this looks great. With ballast and the right sort of setting. yes it would look fantastic. As far as the manufacturing is concerned, again I agree. One can go that route and it may come to that. I am in the gathering stages of building my outdoor railroad and I’m in no particular hurry.
Any advice given will ALWAYS be appreciated. :slight_smile:
Stacy

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

PS if you need a drawing and specs to design the item have a look at this http://www.railone.com/en/main-nav/products/freight-and-heavy-haul-rail-transport/usa.html

Thanks, I just looked at the specs and data as well as the actual pictures and this is what I am after.

Stacy

Actually, I would not mine just designing the rail myself. After all, real railroads work this way. My outdoor railroad will be first rate and very clean, neat and totally safe. I don’t want my engines and rolling stock running on just any type track mind you. That is why I might opt for creating my own track. Unique to my particular outdoor layout. The thing is, it is outdoors. The heat and cold as well as general maintenance are of concern. One doesn’t invest this much time and this much effort to simply be placed into a position whereby they spend the money and the time only to end up replacing everything when it turns out no good. So, the idea of making my own track using modern specs and photographs might be the appropriate way to handle this.

Stacy

The company I’d approach if I wanted a mould for special ties and track http://www.northernfinescale.ca/