Large Scale Central

Modeling a Pacifc Electric Boxcab

Hello, been a lurker for a while here but this has been a fun little project Im finally making progress on.

Pacific Electric boxcab 1624 in 1/29.

I modeled it in Fusion 360 and am printing it (slowly) on FDM machines.
I like my local rail history here in Los Angeles, and was fortunate enough to visit the actual locomotive in Perris. Adding and building as time allows. Hope you enjoy it.
I used @manimal sprung truck models to cover the USA powered bogies. More as I finish it.
Thank you

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your work.
I don’t know much about locomotives that don’t use steam but I know a beautiful model when I see one. Great work and please keep sharing your progress.

Thank you! Its a fun project. I also am making a PE “Hollywood” streetcar in 1/29.
The prototype was based on the Westinghouse boxcabs but was apparently entirely home built at the PEs Torrance shops here in Southern California.
The locomotive still exists, I was fortunate enough to see it in person recently and I believe it can still run.

Not my pic but ya get the idea.

1 Like

cool!
and welcome to the club.

Welcome aboard Patrick. Nice work. I’ll look forward to seeing more. :sunglasses:

Nice work, and welcome!

Welcome outstanding work! Nice to see someone else from SoCal

Fantastic 3d modeling work Patrick, and wonderful execution with the 3d printing!

Thank you all. Still got a long way to go though. I’m fortunate that day job allows me access to some good tools. This was printed on a Bambu X1C if anyone is interested. Here are some other models I’ve modeled and printed

The little tank loco is a digital and physical kitbash. Used a HOn3 tank scaled up, a basswood cab and, a Stainz chassis with printed covers for the pistons to make them a little more American looking. The work caboose is all digital with some iron creek castings for bits and bobs.

3 Likes

Awesome work and welcome!

Here is the CAD work so far. Nice thing about a symmetrical prototype is I only have to do half the modeling!

1 Like

It took me a moment to realize that was a powerdrill and not some new exotic form of smokestack I was unaware of.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

its the impact drill stack variant. Developed for use on the Piso Mojado railroad in my backyard! Few examples remain.

Ok, the first print was a proof, now we’re working through some bugs. Beefed up the deck a little, increased strength and a PETG plastic for durability. Also added the couplers at the appropriate height. I will need to re work the ends to accommodate the Kadees.

On a side note, I saw some ice plant blooming on the layout.

Patrick,
Have you found a paint that works well with PETG?

I use high end auto body primer then airbrush for final coat. PETG does have that glossy finish but the primer seems to fix that.
I have a buddy here in town that is a mad scientist paint mixer (works with the lowrider community) and turned me on to rattlecan filler primers. The brite touch is a lot more commonly available but is not as good. However it is a lot cheaper!
I have some PETG printed structures that have stood up to the socal summers for over a year with no paint issues

Edit: “the good stuff”

1 Like