Large Scale Central

Mixing and matchng track and switches/points

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about track and switches. I currently have Aristocraft track and switches

but realize I need to expand my list of vendors.

The real question is whether there are makes of track and switches that I should avoid. I’ve read that

hollow Bachman track is a bad idea.

I’m looking at Piko and AML track. What’s odd is that the list price of AML track is considerably less

that the same amount and type of Aristocraft track. Is this due to the changing definition of “brass”

in terms of its composition of copper?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve read that the reason the AML track is cheaper is because the rail is rolled rather than extruded. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it’s what I’ve read on the forums. My only experience with AML’s code 332 track comes in the form of a review sample they sent when it first came out. The rail measured a few thousandths taller than .332", but it mated with the other manufacturers’ track well enough. I’ve been using their code 250 rail outdoors for 8 years now without any argument.

Same for Piko and TrainLine45; I’ve got samples they’ve sent for review. Both of these are on par with LGB’s track in terms of fit and finish. I do have a Piko switch outside leading into my storage shed. All my trains run over it fairly smoothly, though I don’t run over it at any kind of speed because it’s all of 3’ from the shed.

Later,

K

I have some AML 332 brass track that’s been outside for more than 2 years… It’s 6 ft lengths, and some have been curved using a dual track bender…

Previously, I’ve used Aristo track, and the AML mates up with the Aristo track well…

I’ve had some Train-LI R-7 switches outside for a little over a year, with no problem with those switches, either…

There’s not much shade over my railroad, so it gets direct sunlight, with temps ranging from 105 F to probably -5 F… Really haven’t had what I’d call a ““Heavy”” snowfall, maybe 10-12 inches, every few years…

Just my experience.

I’ve purchased a small amount of AML flex track so we’ll see how it looks soon enough.

A few follow-on questions. AC touted it’s brass track as having 85% copper compared to 50% for

other brands. I would expect the reduction in copper to result in cheaper track prices but I wonder

if folks who own both have noticed any differences in the two compositions over several years.

It would also be neat to be able to specify X amount of track, Y switches, etc and see it priced out in

various metal types, codes, and vendors of track. A large scale layout calculator…give it your

track/layout requirements and it spits out prices for brass, ss, aluminum and code 332/250 etc…

might even help keep one’s layout dreams realistic.

I have Piko and LGB R3 turnouts. The Piko are all new while the LGB switches are mostly second hand. I have no complaints about either brand. Same goes for LGB and Piko track.

David Fielding said:

A few follow-on questions. AC touted it’s brass track as having 85% copper compared to 50% for

other brands.

That really matters not whether your track powered or battery powered David. The ties are where the issue is as the rail will far outlast them.

David Russell said:

David Fielding said:

other brands.

That really matters not whether your track powered or battery powered David. The ties are where the issue is as the rail will far outlast them.

I found that over the past twenty plus years, LGB brass track holds up better than AC track. It’s also easier to solder to, if need be.

“Other Brands” is non definitive therefore meaningless.

Andrew

Garratt Steam said:

“Other Brands” is non definitive therefore meaningless.

Andrew

Falcon 104

Andrew,

There is an old thread here with a message from AC claiming they are the only large scale

vendor that’s using brass with a higher copper content. Given that I did not see folks arguing

this point I grouped the rest together. http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/9088/track-is-not-track-unless-you-do

I don’t believe the other ‘brand’ really matters given that I’m asking whether there’s a difference over

several years between the types of brass. I suspect there may be no impact on our layouts but I

thought I’d ask. This reminds me of a proposal around the same time to redefine chocolate to allow

substituting vegetable oil for cocoa butter. This proposal was for the sole purpose of increasing

manufacturer profits.

David,

It seems there has been different amounts of copper in some brass rail but when and what particular production batches, who really knows unless analysed.

The conductivity of different types of brass is less than the conductivity of aluminium and more than the conductivity of steel. All these metals are viable options for rail as far as conductivity goes.

Andrew