Large Scale Central

Minor bug report

Hi Bob -

I have been exercising TrainOps quite a bit this summer. On minor issue I’ve found is in the reporting portion of Run Trains. My diesels are prefixed with an alpha character as in M-10 and M-11. When the train orders print, looks like it is using an integer for the locomotive number because if either of the M units are assigned it prints Locomotive # 0.

And a question or two…

When I defined my railroad, I wasn’t thinking about FN3 stuff that can’t use R1 switches and defined my yards too large. I fixed that in the Physical Layout area by reducing the siding length to 72". Note that my cars are all configured as 18" and this siding will hold 4 cars. For some reason even if I Racalc Cars, the system wants to put 5 and 6 cars on this siding. Did I do something wrong, or miss a step?

Lastly, I have one industry that is only served by one train. It rarely gets any cars IN or OUT. It takes Flats IN (40%) and sends Boxes OUT (75%). I don’t have a lot of rolling stock, only two each flats and boxes and other locations take them as well. My Industry Car Orders report shows a lot iof demand for these car types that go unfilled. Could it be that I just don’t have enough cars?

Jon Radder said:
When I defined my railroad, I wasn't thinking about FN3 stuff that can't use R1 switches and defined my yards too large. I fixed that in the Physical Layout area by reducing the siding length to 72". Note that my cars are all configured as 18" and this siding will hold 4 cars. For some reason even if I Racalc Cars, the system wants to put 5 and 6 cars on this siding. Did I do something wrong, or miss a step?
Mine will do that too. I just un-check the boxes of those extra cars that are on the train. It will also assign more cars to a train then the loco can handle. The Annies are only supposed to get 4 or 5 cars assigned to them, but occasionally they get a lot more then that. Again I just un-check the boxes of those extra cars or I'll just re-assign a heavier engine, like a Connie or the K-27. I know that doesn't "fix" the problem, but it was a handy solution.
Quote:
Could it be that I just don't have enough cars?
That would be my guess.

Thanks Ken. As far as too many cars for loco, the program is aware of that. You must over-ride the restriction with a check box if you really want all the cars in the train.

I guess I need to build some of those boxcar kits I have laying around :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
Hi Bob -

I have been exercising TrainOps quite a bit this summer. On minor issue I’ve found is in the reporting portion of Run Trains. My diesels are prefixed with an alpha character as in M-10 and M-11. When the train orders print, looks like it is using an integer for the locomotive number
because if either of the M units are assigned it prints Locomotive # 0.

Interesting, Ill look at that…

Quote:
And a question or two...

When I defined my railroad, I wasn’t thinking about FN3 stuff that can’t use R1 switches and defined my yards too large. I fixed that in the Physical Layout area by reducing the siding length to 72". Note that my cars are all configured as 18" and this siding will hold 4 cars. For some reason even if I Racalc Cars, the system wants to put 5 and 6 cars on this siding. Did I do something wrong, or miss a step?

Yea, the sidings capacity thing is more a “know where the cars can go” or not, right now. Its planned to be fixed.

Quote:
Lastly, I have one industry that is only served by one train. It rarely gets any cars IN or OUT. It takes Flats IN (40%) and sends Boxes OUT (75%). I don't have a lot of rolling stock, only two each flats and boxes and other locations take them as well. My Industry Car Orders report shows a lot iof demand for these car types that go unfilled. Could it be that I just don't have enough cars?
Yep, you probably don't have enough cars. The testing Bruce and I did indicated that you need between 2 and 3 times the numbers of cars that an industry 'needs' per day. So if you have one industry that needs a boxcar, you actually need 3 boxcars to have a car available whenever its needed.

Thanks! Answers all my questions :slight_smile:

I got to try “TrainOPs” at Ken’s, it was fun.

Ric send me an e-mail c[email protected]