Large Scale Central

Mining locomotives

Underground Miners put out a new update video. First 5 minutes or so is on their Whitcomb mining locomotive. Pretty neat to see how a battery mining loco works.

2 Likes

Bob,

Perfect timing for me. I’m doing research on Sutro Tunnel’s motive forces: mules, steam locos, air locos, back to mules, and eventually battery locos just like these.

I’d no idea of this outfit’s existence. That mule is very like the one on Sutro property, but I’ve not been able to identify its manufacturer yet. But they’ll probably be able to.

Big message sent to them just now.

Thanks!!!
Cliff

PS:

FWIW this is an early example of a successful air loco, ca. 1876, in Switzerland.

PPS: Chris from UGM just replied that he was interested in helping ID the Sutro mule, so I just sent him a zip file of pics of it.

2 Likes

Jim Russell has built a bunch of models of mining locomotives.

2 Likes

They never said if they went to notch 4 that I saw ? First minute of the video said there were 4 notches?

/

I think at notch 4 the room starts turning.

Jerry B. pointed this site out to me today, pretty amazing. Their kits include battery, motor, receiver, etc.; you control them with a phone app.

https://locoremote.co.uk/
(click the 3d Prints button)

I’m doing research on a compressed air loco that is the older brother of their prototypical 'Issin Sid loco.

Crazy how this little loco looks like a model with it’s can motor and red/black power cable!

Pretty simple mechanics and electrical to make it work.

When will you be boring the tunnel to run it on your layout …With video as well?