Large Scale Central

Mills Fuel

Holy cow! What a great building. I recognized it right a way.

Thanks, guys. This was very satisfying, seeing Fred’s “office” come to life in front of my eyes. I’m very pleased with the overall look.

Ric Golding said:
Holy cow! What a great building. I recognized it right a way.

Ric, it’s hard to see, but you are one of the notables in this picture:

Taken from a picture this summer…coincidentally that’s the shed in the background :wink:

Very cool!

Where’d you get the figure standing in front of the oil drums?

Bruce Chandler said:
Taken from a picture this summer…coincidentally that’s the shed in the background :wink:

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/MillsFuel/FredsShed/IMG_8374w.jpg)

Recursion!

Ray Dunakin said:
Very cool! Where’d you get the figure standing in front of the oil drums?

Ray, That’s a former bum - Hobo Joe, that I got from ScaleHumans.com is for sale | HugeDomains -

(http://scalehumans.com/available_images/hobojoethumb.jpg)

I gave him a job…a shave…and had him tuck in his shirt…

Does it have a fridge inside and is it stocked with Honey Brown?
Inquiring minds wanna know…:wink:

One thing is missing though. There’s a rather impressive large scale layout that’s attached to the back wall of the building. You forgot to model that…:wink:

Bruce,

I did catch I was in the building with Gordon. Looking at the picture you took that from I would have used the part of Ken, Nicole, Gaetan and Fred’s neighbor all talking.

Personally, I’ve got to make one of those cold Wednesday mornings (by the fire) in the “Office”. I think that has got to be a kick.

Well, the base for these buildings sure didn’t make it. I was trying something new. It’s 1/2" thick styrofoam, covered by some thin styrene. Very bad choice. The paint didn’t stick. The glue didn’t stick. All of the things glued down just lifted right off.

This smaller base was really warped. I guess the glue ate through everything.

So, some 1/4" Sintra was used to start the new base. Joint lines were scribed and the area where the building would sit was taped off.

I used some texture paint from Rustoleum to spray it. Glued in place with acrylic cement.

I still want to put the black glue in the joint lines and add some barrels around it, but it’s almost ready to put back outside. The other side has more stuff, so it will take a bit more work. Oh well, another lesson learned.

Don’t you just hate it when an idea doesn’t work out.
Report back next year and let us know how the Sintra works out.
Ralph

Sometimes the elements will wreck havoc on man made items. Sorry Bruce.

Well, the bank has been out since 2008. The base is Sintra, as is the rest of the building, I think. It still looks pretty good.

OK…it does need to be hosed off. :wink: This is how it looked back in April 2008.

hmmmm, and here I thought when I had that builder construct my fuel dealership; that he would use tested, and sturdy materials, suited to the location.
Now I’m finding out that he was experimenting with my business…egads…I hope my insurance will help me pay for the repairs…!!

I see the bank manager had his Duesenburg repossessed…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
I see the bank manager had his Duesenburg repossessed..............;)
Naw, he just went out cruising with some floozie... ;)

Bruce really cool fueling depot. I am thinking of building one. Where or what did you use to make your tanks? They look great as does the whole setting.
Thanks in advance.

Mike,
The two horizontal tanks are from Bachmann tankcars. The vertical tank is some PVC that was used as a shipping container from a few years back, covered with a dome from Plastruct.

Bruce Chandler said:
Thanks, guys.

Bob, the base is 1/2" foam board. I’m not sure how well it will hold up outside at all. I put styrene around the edges and painted it; we’ll see.

Hehe…I was just reading back through this. I guess I saw. :smiley:

thanks Bruce. BTW, I saw the tube of Weld-On Acrylic Cement. I use that stuff very sparingly as it really “melts” styrene plastic. I screwed up a portion of my metal roof material on the AA Citrus Packing Plant by not spreading it out real thin first. I would imagine that it would really destroy foam board center. Goop seems to be pretty good and not “destructive”.

I think I used E-6000 on that foam board. Not a good idea; but it wasn’t a good idea to use that foam board in the first place. I do use the acrylic cement on the Sintra/Kemotex/PVC board and it works great.

OK. Repairs are complete. New bases for both structures; painted with some textured Rustoleum. Tufboard bracing added underneath. All parts glued back in place; repaint done on the drums.

This should last.