Large Scale Central

Mik's Chimney Kit

OK guys, to help answer your Questions.

The “KIT” is made up 4 different castings.

These are RAW castings. You will need to scrape and or sand the flash off and get a good tight edge fit.

Before Painting, like all castings, you should wash in warm soapy water to thourly remove the mold release from the castings, and dry.

I gave a base coat of gray primer over the entire pieces, this primes for color coat, and gives the gray mortar in the joints.

I then used acrylic paint for the color of the individual bricks.

To glue the four sides together, align the short “end” bricks with the adjoining “Long” side bricks. I used “Thick” superglue to glue the four corners all at once. Rubber bands worked well to hold and compress the corners together.

Tahaaaa Daahaaaa!

To save a small fortune in mailing costs, The kit will be mailed in as flat as possible envelop. Inside is the obligatory blue tape to hold secure.

This is the inside of the pieces.

If you want to cut the stack down, go for it…I didn’t want to confuse you all by adding a “Cap” to it that wasn’t in the kit… But it would look better if it had one…

Each side is aprox. 1.5" W X 5" H.

Dave

Almost all kits mailed…

See notes:Here…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30132/2020-mik-s-build-challenge/view/post_id/396784

ATTENTION Chimney Builders…!!

Since you all are about to build your chimneys, I thought that I would help out a bit. To get a better edge fit at the corners. The masters for molding were edge fit to each adjoining edge…

The four pieces are numbered… If you look at the very bottom edges, there is small notches on each piece. 1, 2, 3, 4.

( photoshopped for better clarity )

I recommend that, With the notched ends down ( bottom), you start the fitting with piece #1, and piece #2 fits on #1’s Right side, working counter-clockwise, piece #3 fits on the Right side of #2, and #4 on Right side of #3.

If you choose to cut down the Chimney Kit, to your likings, Your on your own…

Hope this clarifies things a bit, and helps.

Dave

Dave Taylor said:

ATTENTION Chimney Builders…!!

If you choose to cut down the Chimney Kit, to your likings, Your on your own…

Hope this clarifies things a bit, and helps.

Dave

So, Dave, if we don’t cut down the chimney, we can have some help?? Ok, I am definitely not cutting my chimney now SO I have DIBS on Ray AND Cliff for my help (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

@Dan… That made me LOL…thanks

Where do I get the chimney kit?

Ron the chimney kit is for guys doing the MIK build challenge build. It already started but maybe you can sweet talk Dave Taylor into making one for you .