Large Scale Central

MIK 2023, Petes Bank of?

Is says made in China I am pretty sure, not at the house right now to make sure

Your skills are growing my friend. From a sheepish beginning with a tin can you are now building downright nice buildings.

I do believe I have done 2 other MIK’s before the “Hippy Hut” , my BBQ in the stone block challenge and whatever the ugly gray false front warehouse thing on my layout is. But thanks for the compliment, Devon!!!

any which way your skills are coming along nicely.

1 Like

It depends. Light color(s) will reflect more light from the walls and make it look brighter inside and the walls will be quite visible.

Dark colors or black will absorb the light making the interior darker and the walls all but invisible.

If your shades will be drawn and somewhat translucent, go with white.

Another option if you want lots of light, but no interior views: Spray the inside of the windows with a frost spray paint…

Thanks John, I am debating what to do, I have several buildings with big windows I woud like to show inside, but the frosted glass idea is a good one.
Todays update, decided the plain slab looking base isnt going cut it so got my handy dandy scribing tool and the awesome awl a good friend sent me a couple of years ago

and proceeded to make some lines. for some strange reason the blocks turned out not needing any complicated math to get the sizes right. the height of the blocks seem to have had some issues, but talking to the contractor the bank owners wanter to make a certian height requirement the city has for tax breaks, so several block contractors were used to get the heights and sizes required. Some color variations were discovered so the request was to get the sizes from all 3 and mix and match them . this is the result of that work.

2 Likes

Pretty good looking block there, Pete. I actually like the color variation.

I second Jon’s recommendation on the frosted glass spray, I use it all the time on buildings and rolling stock when I don’t do an interior finish. I use a very light “fogging” of flat black even over the white Styrene and it really makes a difference for the better. For example on a caboose I recently finished I used this method, you can see light through the windows from one side to the other but can make out no interior detail but you can see the shadows if you run your hand across the far side window. Did that even make any sense?

needed to paint some errors out of the scribing work , so this is what I came up with for a solution. wasnt happy with 2 shades , so mixed up a third one.

spent some time with the composite/plastic “wood” and carved out a couple of corbels for a porch/ overhang

, then I cut and slied a piece of the wood as a overhang. After the brick is painted and glued to the walls I will attach it to the front and move on to details.

forgot to add the picture of the glued up piece

Jeez…what a great looking building!

Thank you Bruce , from a great builder that is a wonderful compliment.

looking great Pete. Nice work on the corbels.

Dang Pete you’ve come a long way in a few short years. I almost didn’t realize this was your work

Very nice work :sunglasses:

1 Like

That is a very strong looking bank. It is just what folks would want to ensure their peace of mind that their money is safe. Will the porch be enclosed with a railing? You could put a nice clock up there.

Thanks David, very kind words from you!
Todd I was not going to put any railing since there is the small step up to the door, but now you have me thinking of other things to do to add to the entrance.
Well did some more work today, spray painted the brick and wasn’t thrilled about how it looked , so I spent 3 hours doung this, after first asking a couple of friends how it looked.![IMG_0194|666x500](upload://5xah3upiVOvNAZbua0sM7OyzkI1.jpeg
keen eyes will note the door is now black, was not going to paint it, but a massive (scale) black paint spill happened as i was making drops into a color blob to mix.Being che…thrifty and hating to waste it , made me use it and painted the door.

there are the other pieces, might do a little more on the center piece, the picture makes it look a little blah. It is on the opposite side so no way to compare them.

Do not know what or why the picture didnt l;oad in other post. but there it is now… I hope!!

1 Like

Door looks great! Nice accident!

Nice work on the brick, Pete. I like the color differentiation. And again, your door(s) look great.