Large Scale Central

Microsoft Edge works

Daktah John said:

I’m on the fence about upgrading to 10. I have several Win 7 machines both home and work that would be eligible for the free upgrade which makes it tempting. Waiting to hear a bit more feedback before taking the plunge. My Win8 users at work would love to ditch 8 especially if 10 is more logical and easier to use. Does anyone know if the Free Upgrade is a limited time thing?

The free upgrade is available for one year. Support for the free upgrade is “Lifetime”. Whatever that means (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The Edge Browser is much faster than IE. All the tracking can be turned off easily in the initial setup.

Ralph

This article shows multiples tests on IE, Edge and Chrome.

IE was faster in 3 of the 4 tests. Both IE and Edge are miserable on HTML5 compatibility www.html5test.com

There are no plugins for Edge yet, like ad blockers, etc.

Oh, and you KNOW that Edge provides feedback to microsoft about EVERYTHING you do, in fact it’s running all the time, run CCleaner, and do a clean, you will see it asks you to shut Edge down, even though it’s not “running” to your knowledge.

10 improves in almost every way over 8 except the additional “spying” that Microsoft does on you. And Cortana refuses to operate if you don’t share your contact database…

Greg

Orwell was close - it wasn’t the government; it’s Microsoft & Google (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Glad to hear positive feedback about 10. So often early adopters of MSOS complain about how much better the OS they left behind was. I’m still running a barely breathing XP that has been cloned through 5 machines on my main workstation, but it has a valid W7 Pro license on a second partition that should be eligible. It sure would be nice to have this PC running like it did when I set it up a year or so ago

A couple of years ago I needed a new laptop and had to get a Win8 machine. That worked perfectly for a bout a year until Microsoft kept bombarding me with requests to upgrade (for free) to 8.1. This I did and from then on I had nothing but small problems such as the machine crashed if left alone for any more than 10 minutes. Then the audio just stopped working.

Supposedly the only way to fix that was to strip the machine and start again. A real pain for me as I have lots of trouble with anything like that.

Last Friday I made the (long) trip to Armidale to see my webmaster who offered to install Win10 for me without having to strip the machine. That took all of 2 hours and was seamless although back ups were made just in case. No need to strip it down as the installation simply overwrote the old 8.1. It worked fine as Avast anti virus was turned off. When I noticed that it was off and turned it on Win10 did not like it at all. Likewise it would not work with Malwarebytes.

So Trend Micro was installed and Avast and Malwarebytes removed.

That fixed it. The computer is zipping right along and all features are now working as they should.

Fingers will remain crossed though.

Do I like Win 10? Sure do. Even found the installed Windows picture editing program has a simple pic resizing tool so I no longer have to use my old XP machine to edit pics.

I believe it may also be possible to have a DOS program (Protel) running as well, although I am not game to try that at the moment.

Actually Tony, if he did an upgrade, you have a month to revert back to 8.1 AND the old files are still on your computer, look for a directory that is called windows.old … I don’t know if after a month windows deletes these files or not, but I’m comfortable enough with my windows 10 functionality that I removed all these files, which were quite a few gigabytes.

I removed the old windows install files with CCleaner, and when you do the “clean” function, you will see a check box at the very bottom of the list of items to be “cleaned” that says “old windows installations”… (CCleaner available from filehippo.com and download.com, etc.)

Free version works fine.

Greg

Hey Greg, do you know, are they going based on build versions now? You said that there was a ~300meg update a few days ago, I don’t know that I got it, any ideas how to figure that out?

I got sick of waiting for the installer to “give” me my free upgrade so I forced the issue and downloaded the iso and installed that way. It took a couple hours to get my video drivers reinstalled (conflict because the old 8 version was running during the install, it showed as being up to date, but because they were 8 drivers, Win10 refused to load them) and a few other things to get my system restored to my custom configuration, but I’m running 10Pro on my tower.

For what its worth, I am running Malwarebytes and Avast on my system with no complaints by windows.

J.D. Gallaway said:

For what its worth, I am running Malwarebytes and Avast on my system with no complaints by windows.

Good to know as I am running those as well. I did a bit of reading on the upgrade site and downloaded the 32 and 64 bit ISO files at work today. Pro editions also upgrade free so I’m all set. All of my systems are “pre-installed”, most are Dell, some are Gateway so we’ll see how that goes. I have an extra W7 box at work that will be Guinea Pig #1 and I get paid to learn the quirks. Then I’ll do my home machine.

I looked in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion … then look at build number 10240 is mine, but don’t know if that changes only on service packs…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

This article shows multiples tests on IE, Edge and Chrome.

IE was faster in 3 of the 4 tests. Both IE and Edge are miserable on HTML5 compatibility www.html5test.com

There are no plugins for Edge yet, like ad blockers, etc.

Oh, and you KNOW that Edge provides feedback to microsoft about EVERYTHING you do, in fact it’s running all the time, run CCleaner, and do a clean, you will see it asks you to shut Edge down, even though it’s not “running” to your knowledge

Greg

Interesting as I just read a story yesterday which basically had very different test results. Wish I had kept a link.

Showed Edge to be generally faster than IE, and even Chrome & FF.

However, it was a W10 vs W8.1 vs W7 test.

Interesting enough, as W7 was the clear loser. W8.1 bested W10 in many categories.

As much as folks liked to complain about W8.1, it is a very good OS.

My own experience is that Edge is faster on W10 than IE was on W8.1.

Having my W7 system back up and running on a clean install, IE seems to be running rather well.

The plug-ins, such as Adobe Flash, may be causing performance issues on IE.

IE seems to be pretty quick with no plug-ins installed.

Ralph

Yep, it definitely could be faster in some areas, but IE and Edge much poorer than FF. IF Chrome was not owned by Google, I would use that.

My biggest concern is not speed of execution, but accuracy of the representation, and compatibility, also the ability to have plugins to control the invasion of my privacy.

You know that Flash has been integrated into the browser since Win 8, so if it does not run well there, it’s Microsoft’s fault. So far I have not had any issues with this.

When Edge gets some nice plugins, like AdBlock Plus and Ghostery, then I may have it as a backup, since all my systems have touch screens.

Regards, Greg

p.s. here’s a series of tests where Edge did well on a particular hardware and on a particular test…

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-web-browser-shootout-edge-vs-ie-vs-chrome/

I am a Mac guy, so I am amused at all the gymnastics involved with upgrading Windows. That being said, I did have a few issues with the new Apple OS Yosemite at first. The one thing that irritates me about the whole computer thing (Apple & Microsoft) is their desire to force you to do things you don’t necessarily care to do. That added to the current propensity to want to spy on you, makes me wonder whether Big Brother is Watching Me!

Took the first step last night, getting Win7Pro at home updated. Took three separate runs of update and 4 reboots, but I got the W10 App and did the Check My System and got a green check. Took the second step today at work, cleaned up my systems room, removing a retired server and retiring the second last CRT we have. Set up a W7 Home machine and began the update process. It will be a long time for this one as it’s been off-line for a while. Once it comes up to date I’ll install from the ISO I downloaded.

BTW, spending more than just a few minutes running the W7 partition on my home machine proved that it is XP side that is FUBAR, not my machine, so now I need to start getting my applications over to the W7 side.